Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hard drive crash and time machine

Let's say my hard drive fails and I'm faced with replacing it or getting a new computer. I keep everything backed up on Time Machine. Does that back up include the entirety of all the applications that I've purchased and are on the computer, or do I have to reload all the applications afterwards separately relying on hard copies and receipts and user licenses for these previous downloads?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 4:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 4:32 AM

Time Machine, by default, makes a complete backup of the hard drive onto the external drive, so everything will be kept.

However, if you are using third-party applications with product keys, you must contact with the developer in order to know if the application will keep as activated after restoring the backup

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2013 4:32 AM in response to James Thomson

Time Machine, by default, makes a complete backup of the hard drive onto the external drive, so everything will be kept.

However, if you are using third-party applications with product keys, you must contact with the developer in order to know if the application will keep as activated after restoring the backup

hard drive crash and time machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.