Skip navigation

restore imac os x without disk

4411 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 9, 2013 11:13 AM by sloppyjoechef RSS
sloppyjoechef Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Feb 9, 2013 7:27 AM

how do i restore my I mac os x intel duo based to factory setting without a disk? thanks

• den.thed Level 7 Level 7 (23,325 points)
    Feb 9, 2013 7:41 AM (in response to sloppyjoechef)

You can not, you need to call Apple and see if they can provide you with a replacement Install Disc set that originally came with the computer.

Optionally if it is an Early Core Duo the came with Tiger, you could also use a Retail 10.5 or 10.6 Upgrade DVD and install a clean OS X on the computer.

iMac, Mac Mini, iPad, iPods, Mac OS X (10.6.8), (10.8.2), Safari, iTunes, iPhoto
    Feb 9, 2013 9:01 AM (in response to sloppyjoechef)

Yes if it is a black 10.5 Retail Upgrade DVD or white Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD (gray install disc's are system specific and will not work)

These instructions are for a new Hard Drive, but work just the same because re-partitioning and re-formatting will erase the Hard Drive, allowing you to install a clean OS X

1. Boot from your install DVD or Bootable Clone and open Disk Utility.

2. Highlight the new HD in the list of drives and select the Partition tab.

3. Under Volume Scheme select 1 Partition and click on the Options... button.

4. Select GUID Partition Table in the drop down window and click OK.

5. Set the Format to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and click the Apply button.

6. Once thats done then you can do a clean Install, Restore from TM or a Bootable Clone.

Feb 9, 2013 9:53 AM (in response to sloppyjoechef)

Your welcome!

Sorry, I misunderstood and thought that you had a Retail Leopard Upgrade DVD.

Providing that it is not stolen, the original owner is not the sharpest person for selling it without first erasing all there data. Perhaps if you were to jog there memory, they could come up with the original disc set or an upgrade DVD for you...

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.