Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hacked

someone has hacked through my airport extreme and locked up my lachie big five server used for iTunes media storage, I had to unplug the server to restart it. They also hacked into my powerbook with firewall on and corupted the startup I had to reinstall the operating system. They locked up my Imac and I was required to restat it to use it. What would you recommend as a firewall that might stop this attack?? and What are they after I have Itunes, world of warcraft, and microsoft word. I have absolutely nothing worth hacking. How can I stope the hacker.. It takes hours to fix. I was forced to switch to Mac they had crashed any PC I had. Now they are attacking my mac's... What is so exciting about someone who has very little and writes short stories as a hobie.

Powerbook, Mac OS X (10.6.4), bumb

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 11:51 AM

3 replies

Dec 17, 2016 2:23 PM in response to Zeran

If you are really the target for hackers, how much more you can do to prevent them will really depend on their ability to access your local network and any devices connected to it.

Some of the things you can do to make it more difficult:

• Use WPA2 for wireless encryption. Use a strong password. Change your wireless network password every 30 days.
  • Secure the router's administration access. By default, most routers either do not use a password or use a known password for administration access. Change this to a strong password and like the wireless password change it often.
  • If possible, prevent physical access to the router. That is, don't allow someone to be able to access it physically so that they can gain access simply by pushing the reset button to bypass the router's administration security.
  • Use a dedicated hardware firewall appliance.
  • Use a business-grade router which offers greater administrative control of the router's WAN interface. Just about anything from Cisco would be an example.
  • Use both an application and network-layer (packet filter) software firewalls on your Macs.
    • Application firewalls are able to identify which application is trying to initiate or receive a remote connection.
    • Packet Filter firewalls do not allow packets to pass through the firewall unless they match a user defined and established set of rules. They affect all applications running on a system. Their main purpose is to protect OS X System services from remote inspection or intrusion.
    • OS X / macOS comes with both. However, both are disabled by default.
      • Application: ALF
      • Network: PF
    • ALF is enabled via System Preferences.
    • PF is enabled via Terminal commands.
    • There are a number of third-party solutions for both as well.
      • For ALF:
        • Valium
        • LittleSnitch
        • Hands Off
        • Radio Silence
      • For PF:

Murus (Note: Murus is not actually a firewall. Instead it is a graphical user interface for PF.)

hacked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.