1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply: Feb 9, 2013 1:57 PM by MichelPM
jbartlett10 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Dear all   

Please help....I'm new to having a mac and have obtained a second hand iMac 4.1 with an intel core duo and a speed of 1.83GHz

I am struggling getting iCloud onto the computer to be able to look at my calendar and e-mails etc but also to be able to use for messenger and so forth.

Can anyone please advise me what I can do? and how I can get iCloud among many other things on my iMac.  I can't even upgrade it to OS X Mountain Lion (I'm running Mac OS X version 10.6.8).

Any help you can give me would be deeply appreciated.  I don't know much about Macs so anything in laymans terms would be great.

Many thanks

Jo

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)
  • 1. Re: upgrading proessor
    Csound1 Level 8 Level 8 (35,460 points)

You can not upgrade your machine to the point it needs to be at for iCloud, there are no workarounds.

• 2. Re: upgrading proessor
    mende1 Level 10 Level 10 (89,570 points)

It's a so old iMac (Early 2006 iMac) that it's only compatible with Mac OS X Snow Leopard. Unfortunately, with that iMac you can't use iCloud (iCloud requires OS X Lion or later, but your Mac isn't compatible with Lion).

The problem is that your iMac uses an Intel Core Duo processor, that prevents you to install a newer version than Snow Leopard, just because it's not a 64-bit processor. I'm sorry, but there isn't too much that we can do with that computer, because it's not possible to modify the processor as it's soldered onto the logic board.

If you want iCloud, you need a new Mac

• 3. Re: upgrading proessor
    a brody Level 9 Level 9 (63,300 points)

Sorry, no processor upgrade is available for that machine.  But you can shop around for used or refurbished machine, or run Windows if you must get into iCloud.   Alternatives are on my FAQ:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2551

And how to buy a used or refurbished machine on:

http://www.macmaps.com/usedrefuribhed.html

• 4. Re: upgrading proessor
    Paul_31 Level 6 Level 6 (12,780 points)

Upgrading the processor isn't a realistic option. Have a look at this thread from earlier today which may help, but you won't be able to get the full benefit of iCloud using 10.6.8:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4745990?tstart=60

• 5. Re: upgrading proessor

Thank you very much - it's ashame as it was a birthday pressie from my mum who thought she was doing good in helping me get into the world of macs.

I'm a photographer by trade but use everything on a pc - I want to switch to mac but had never used one before.

I'm not sure how to tell her that the one she bought me is not quite right

Thank you for your reply - it's really helped me.

Is there any other upgrade I can do - not to Mountail Lion but anything else?

Thanks

Jo

• 6. Re: upgrading proessor

See the alternatives I have listed in my tip below.  Chronosync supports Leopard and Snow Leopard.   You just need a non-Apple Provider to store those features that aren't supported.

• 7. Re: upgrading proessor

There isn't any upgrade you can do. Snow Leopard is the end of the way for that iMac

• 8. Re: upgrading proessor

That's true, but as I said, you can run a Windows that supports iCloud, even if you can't run a Mac OS X that supports iCloud.  Read my tip.

• 9. Re: upgrading proessor
    Csound1 Level 8 Level 8 (35,460 points)

You can use iCloud Mail, Contacts and Calendars. Mail will be free but to access contacts and calendars you will need to purchase Soho Organizer, which sadly is $100.00 but works with iCloud on Leopard and Snow Leopard (10.6.8)

Mail requires that you manually setup the account (but you don't need to buy anything)

• 10. Re: upgrading proessor

Thank you all for your help.

Running windows - will I be able to run all windows programmes too i.e. word, excel, CS6 etc?

Jo

• 11. Re: upgrading proessor

Of course. All your applications (except the 64-bit ones) will run without any problem under Windows. On your Mac, you can install Windows XP, Vista or 7

• 12. Re: upgrading proessor

CS6 no.  But Word and Excel yes.  CS6 needs a lot of processor power.

• 13. Re: upgrading proessor

But you need an iPhone, iPod touch, iPad or Mac to log in iCloud for the first time, because you can't log in iCloud for the first time on a PC. I was telling that thinking that the OP hasn't got any other Apple device

• 14. Re: upgrading proessor

I have an apple iPhone and apple iPad also (along with ipod ha ha) just the mac that I'm new to and don't know much about.

1 2 Previous Next