Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

your iphone could not be activated because the activation server is temporarily unavailable

your iphone could not be activated because the activation server is temporarily unavailable

iPhone 3GS, Windows 7

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 12:16 PM

11 replies

Jul 6, 2017 1:12 PM in response to khaledalshmrey

5 possible causes for that error message:

1] Activation server is actually down. Very rare occurrence, and of short duration when it

does happen. Solution - try again.

2] Your firewall and/or antivirus software are preventing the necessary connection. Solution -

temporarily disable your firewall and/or antivirus software until the activation completes.

3] computer being used for activation has been used to jailbreak an iOS device in the past.

Solution - use a different computer.

4] iPhone has been jailbroken. Your favorite search engine may provide some direction, but jailbreaks often prevent

activations/updates from succeeding. Per Terms of Use for this forum, discussion of jailbroken iPhones is

prohibited.

5] your region and/or timezone settings are inconsistent with your actual location. Solution - set region and/or timezone correctly.

You should also check this article: If you can't activate your iPhone - Apple Support. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201407

Mar 23, 2013 10:03 PM in response to deggie

You have to have bought applecare, right? I didn't. Have had my phone for over a year now. And I have the same problem. I tried to do the update....and lost my phone!! It will not activate. Keeps telling me the activation server is unavailable try again later. I have been trying all day. This is VERY frustrating and has me looking for a different than apple phone. I have GOT to have my phone for family and work reasons. I am not happy about this...and nothing helps. I've searched online and apple communities all day. Nothing helps. This is the most current post I can find. I have a question - how do you call applecare anyway - when you have no phone?????

Mar 24, 2013 2:42 PM in response to deggie

Yes, bought this phone from Apple itself. I actually have been on the phone (landline) with a manager from Apple all day. It is a legit phone, no jail breaking done (no matter how many don't believe that - it's true)...there is a problem with the server and my phone - they are not recognzing each other. Something happened when my laptop shut off in the middle of the update. Have tried on another computer with same results. Problem has been sent to engineers with highest priority and should have some sort of answer in a day or two. And because it's an issue that happened with update, I wasn't charged anything for the help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.