Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 4S - why won't my wifi turn on?

We recently had Bell Fibe tv and internet installed. My iphone 4s works fine but the wifi my sons iphone 4s will not turn on. The wifi button is a kight grey and will not respond to the touch. I have rest the network setting. I have reset the phone. I have shut the phone off and on again. I have changed the wifi settings on the router. I have had technical support help as well. I upgraded the phone to the latest iOS. It's still not working. Does anyone know the problem?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 2:43 PM

11 replies

Oct 9, 2013 4:06 PM in response to ccurrie

It is definitely a hardware issue. Stop trying to fix it yourself. Take the phone to an apple store and they will replace for free if under warranty if not they will charge you $199. The new OS is incompatible with some 4s phones' hardware--- Apple will not yet public ally acknowledge but the stores are replacing the phones. The one I went to didn't even question anything other than just looked at the grayed out issue on the wifi button. Good luck.

Oct 10, 2013 5:06 AM in response to jjacobs198

I agree, it would appear that some 4s phones are not compatible with the new OS; or rather the new OS has caused them to develop the fault

it's ok saying go down to the Apple store and they'll replace it for free, IF under warranty; lots of 4s users have had them for over 12 months and so no covered!

it is us who are frustrated as the phone was ok under ios6 and we now understand that the new OS caused the phone to fault; so Apple cause our phones to malfunction and then say, sorry out of warranty pay £150!

they should have advised 4s users not to upgrade if that is the case; and if they didn't know this, then they are obviously responsible!

Jul 11, 2014 10:31 AM in response to ccurrie

If you still haven't fixed it and the apple trouble shooting does not help, than try this. First put your iPhone on airplane mode and then shut it off. Wait about 5-10 minutes and then turn it back on and check to see if the wifi button will work. If it still does not work, make sure that your ios is completely updated. In order to update, you have to be connected to a home wifi signal so if you need to update, plug your phone into your computer and open iTunes. You should see a window pop up right away that says that your phone needs an update. Once your phone is done updating, retry the steps in the beginning. worked for my iphone 4s.

Iphone 4S - why won't my wifi turn on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.