Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Volume initializing in RAID Utility

One of our Xserves was hung up today so I forced it off and restarted. The system has a RAID card and two 80GB drives mirrored. When the computer turned back on it flashed the folder question mark icon, it couldn't find a startup disk. Meanwhile the blue lights on the two drives were flashing. I inserted the OS DVD and it booted from that. Disk utility doesn't see the boot volume. RAID utility shows green lights for the two drives, but a yellow light for the volume and is currently Initializing.

Did I just lose my boot volume? Or is RAID Utility rebuilding the volume and it will come back as before (please)?

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 2:28 PM

2 replies

Feb 12, 2013 8:46 AM in response to Wes Plate

Twitter user @atunnell suggested

Try putting it into a USB to SATA dock or adaptor and seeing if you can see it that way, RAID card itself may be the issue.

I did that and the drive still contained the original boot volume. That was good news.

So @atunnell suggested

I would use carbon clone to make a back up and then wipe the main disks and try a re initialize If that works then restore the image

I did that and it worked!

So I'm all set for now. Thank you @atunnell !

Volume initializing in RAID Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.