5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 10, 2013 12:39 AM by kpkim
kpkim Level 1 (0 points)

I have a iMac (late2011) and my Symantec Antivirus software says that I have a Trojan.Webkit!html virus.  Is there a fix?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)
  • Klaus1 Level 8 (47,745 points)

Yes. Get rid of Symantic. There are NO viruses that can affext OS X.

Norton Antivirus (made by Symantec) has a very long and illustrious reputation for mangling Mac OS X systems, sometimes to the point where a complete reinstall is necessary. Among other things, it installs kernel extensions which are known to cause kernel panics and system freezes; it contains known and documented bugs which can silently corrupt Adobe Photoshop and Adobe InDesign files, destroy a user's ability to authenticate as an administrator, and (on PPC systems) can cause Classic to stop functioning; and Symantec has on at least two occasions now released flawed .dat file updates which erroneously report certain critical Mac OS X files as "viruses." (Deleting these "viruses" causes damage to the system that in some cases renders it unbootable.)

Norton Removal Tool (Symantec Uninstaller):

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH103489&locale =en_US

And now this, from 11 January 2012:

Lawsuit Claims Symantec "Scareware" Warns Of Fake Threats To Sell Upgrades

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2012/01/11/lawsuit-claims-symantec-sca reware-warns-of-fake-threats-to-sell-upgrades/

• thomas_r. Level 7 (30,717 points)

It's unclear exactly what the malware identified by this particular name by Symantec actually consists of, but as far as I can tell, it's not actually a threat to Mac users. Where is the file that Symantec is identifying as this malware? What is its exact file name and path?

• rkaufmann87 Level 9 (55,218 points)

The very (underscore and bold underscore) is to follow Norton's instructions for uninstalling their software. Thomas is absolutely correct that you should uninstall Norton's products!!!!

• MichelPM Level 6 (11,344 points)

Trojans are NOT viruses and not sure if the software identified anything correctly, any how!

Macs DO NOT NEED ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE.

UNINSTALL IT! Get rid of it!

• kpkim Level 1 (0 points)

Thank you for you help.  I will be getting rid of Symantec.