Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4k or 2.7k video resolution support?

I've been looking into adding the GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition into my collection. I want to be sure I can use the 2.7k video resolution in iMovie. Has anyone tested to see what if it works? Also, I'm not expecting to export at 2.7k just 1080p

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 4:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 6:18 PM

For 4K or 2.7K you need Final Cut Pro X.

The main reason to shoot at 4k and export at 1080P would be so you could crop or zoom in and not lose any resolution. This is usually something that only pros do. The cropping and zooming and keyframing required is simple in FCP, but not possible in iMovie.

That is a nice camera. I would love to have one myself. (So I have not tested it myself).

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2013 6:18 PM in response to tylerfeague

For 4K or 2.7K you need Final Cut Pro X.

The main reason to shoot at 4k and export at 1080P would be so you could crop or zoom in and not lose any resolution. This is usually something that only pros do. The cropping and zooming and keyframing required is simple in FCP, but not possible in iMovie.

That is a nice camera. I would love to have one myself. (So I have not tested it myself).

Dec 8, 2014 10:26 AM in response to Mike Deleon

Even if you shoot at 2.7K or 4K and put it in a timeline, render it out at 1080p you will see better results than shooting at 1080p. I shoot in 4K with the goPro Hero 4 black and the GH4. 4K is great.

I thought apple would allow us to export 4K from iMovie 10.0.06 but you can only share a 4K clip in the browser not the entire project. hopefully this is just an update away.

FCPX is the way to go with 4K.

4k or 2.7k video resolution support?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.