Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet cable in WAN port of Airport Extreme not recognised

For several years my home network consisted of an ADSL2+ modem connected to a NetGear GS116 16 port passive unmanaged network switch (NS). I have several macs connected to this network switch via ethernet cat5 cables. I also had an Airport Extreme model A1354 (AE) connected via the Ethernet WAN port of the AE to one of the LAN ports of the NS to provide a wireless solution. It is the only wireless solution in the house. Up until last week the firmware on the AE was 7.6.3

Last week the wireless connection went down and the AE light was flashing amber. My wired network still working. Airport Utility said there was nothing connected to the WAN port of the A. Up until this point I had not touched or modified the network in any way software, firmware or hardware. I checked and confirmed the Ethernet cable and it was connected to the WAN port of the AE and also one of the Lan ports of the NS. However the green LED light on the LAN port on the NS was Not illuminated.

I conducted the following:

Changed the Ethernet cable between AE and NS = "Ethernet cable unplugged from WAN port" and green led on LAN port of network switch not illuminated.

Plugged the Ethernet cable from AE into a vacant LAN port on the NS = Same problem

Plugged a Ethernet cable from a wired Mac to the LAN port that was in question = Green led light on LAN port comes on and MAC has internet and network connection

Reset AE and reconfigured manually = same problem

Upgraded firmware on AE to 7.6.5 = same problem

Tried above several times again

Bought a new AE (model A1408) = same problem = "Ethernet cable unplugged from WAN port on AE and AE light blinking amber"

However it will connect properly if connected diretly to the modem.

I will get a different network switch to see if the NS is the problem. The NS is an unmanaged switch with no firewall function and cannot be modified anyway via a login process

AirPort Extreme 802.11n (5th Gen), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 6:17 PM

1 reply

Feb 9, 2013 10:54 PM in response to arcadiamac

Part 2:

Well I purchased a Netgear GS105 network switch (NS1). Plugged the WAN port of NS1 to a LAN port on NS. Plugged the WAN port of AE to NS1

Now I get plug and play proper functionality.

I also tried the old AE in the same configuration, and I get proper functionality too.

I have not changed any configuration within both AE except for updating firmware from 7.6.3 to 7.6.5 after the problem occured.

I do not know the root cause. There was no power surge, lightning, recent storms. I even used the same LAN port on the GS116 NS.

I believe something within the 16 port NS changed which made it incompatible with the AE.

Now I get green led on the LAN port of NS1, NS, and also AE. Used the same ethernet cable.

I have a case ID with Apple.

Ethernet cable in WAN port of Airport Extreme not recognised

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.