Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi Speed fan noise on Sleep Mode, new 21.5

Hi All,

Upon either Sleep mode operation or Shut Down, the "internal fans take off spinning at a high rate", until I reboot, or try to take the computer out of Sleep mode!

I have only had this iMac for 48 hours, and I have never heard of this happening to any computer I have ever owned in 50 years of PC use!

This new computer uses LED's for backlighting of the display, and I don't see where the computer would ever get warm enough to warrant this behavior.

I am going to seek the input of another "Senior Advisor" for a solution to this problem, or this computer is going back to Apple, toot sweet!

I have already done the SMC and Pram resets with no change in behavior.

All other functions work fine on the machine.

Please let me know if you have run across this problem, and what solution you may have found for this specific problem.

Thanks in advance,

enumscrat

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), iMac 21.5, 2.9GHZ, I5 quad proc.

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 6:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 8:41 PM

First, check if there's a process that is consuming a lot of CPU and memory. To check it, open Activity Monitor, select “All Processes” on “Show” and check if everything is correct.

If it's correct, take the computer to an Apple Store. It looks like a hardware problem

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2013 8:41 PM in response to enumscrat

First, check if there's a process that is consuming a lot of CPU and memory. To check it, open Activity Monitor, select “All Processes” on “Show” and check if everything is correct.

If it's correct, take the computer to an Apple Store. It looks like a hardware problem

Feb 12, 2013 11:28 AM in response to mende1

Hi Mendl,

Ok, what I discovered after running the AHT test, long version, was that the test doesn't see the actual failure I had in a new iMac. It turned out to be what I suspected all along, which was a defective temperature sensor, or more likely a factory assembly issue on that component.

They replaced my computer and now all is well.

Thanks, for reinforcing my suspicions!

Keep up the good work.

enumscrat

Hi Speed fan noise on Sleep Mode, new 21.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.