Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My daughter's iPod won't connect to internet.

Sorry I know many people have probably asked this, but I still don't get it! I really don't know what to put in the VPN section and it is very confusing. I know that the pssword we're entering is correct because we've entered it so many times now, I know it by heart! Also, it won't connect to the open network. We have tried the whole turn off wifi, turn off iPod and any others we could find, but we still can't connect. Please help! I have schoolwork so she can't use the computer to play games. It makes me feel bad because she just got it for Christmas and this just happened out of the blue. She said she turned it on one day and it just wouldn't connect to the internet. The day before, she said, all she did was play a game, that doesn't need wifi, and has had since when she first got it. 😠 This is aggrivating!

iPod touch, iOS 6.1

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 8:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 9:00 PM

Hi livs,

Not sure why you are wanting to do anything with VPN? Standard internet connection for devices in your home wouldn't use VPN (Virtual Privacy Network). Were you connecting using VPN before the issues started happening?

What is showing on the Wifi portion of the iPod settings? You have Wifi set to ON? And then does it list your Network ID below the "Choose a Network" label with a check mark next to it? If so, what is showing next to the Network name? A lock, and Wifi bars?

Cheers,

GB

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2013 9:00 PM in response to livs73793

Hi livs,

Not sure why you are wanting to do anything with VPN? Standard internet connection for devices in your home wouldn't use VPN (Virtual Privacy Network). Were you connecting using VPN before the issues started happening?

What is showing on the Wifi portion of the iPod settings? You have Wifi set to ON? And then does it list your Network ID below the "Choose a Network" label with a check mark next to it? If so, what is showing next to the Network name? A lock, and Wifi bars?

Cheers,

GB

Feb 10, 2013 3:39 AM in response to livs73793

Try:

- Reset the iOS device. Nothing will be lost

Reset iOS device: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Power off and then back on the router

- Reset network settings: Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings

- iOS: Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

- iOS: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points

- Restore from backup. See:

iOS: How to back up

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device.

- Make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

Feb 10, 2013 11:28 AM in response to gail from maine

Yes, Gail from maine, it does show under "Chose a Network" our network and there is a lock and there is wifi bars. About the VPN we didn't know if it had anything to do with it 😊. When we click on our network, and before we can put in the password, it says unable to connect. We have turned the router on and off. Also, we just had it connected, but after she played a couple games and then locked it, when she turned it back on it didn't work. 😕 Sometimes it will let us put in the password but then it says unable to connect, so we do it again, but then it says unable to connect and won't let us try again. Please help!

Feb 10, 2013 2:42 PM in response to livs73793

Hi livs,

One possibility is that your router has a limited number of devices it can support at any given time. I know I was constantly getting dropped on my devices until I talked to TimeWarner and they increased the number of wireless devices that could be in play at any given time. My Mac and my husband's Mac still get kicked off occasionally, and when we click on Firefox they come up with a "Server Cannot be Found" error. When I refresh, they usually connect. This usually happens when we connect our TV to the internet to purchase a movie to watch. One too many devices on the router, and it kicks something off.

Also, I feel your pain having to put in the Wifi password. I was getting kicked off of my iPad so often before TimeWarner increased my supported devices, that I had my WEP in my Notes so I didn't have to dig it out every time....

Not sure if that possibly describes your situation, but if you have a lot of devices connecting wirelessly (and that would include printers, i-devices, tv, computers, etc.), and you are using a carrier-provided modem/router, you might want to contact them to see if there is a limit on the number of devices you can have connected wirelessly at any given time....

Just a thought!

Cheers,

GB

My daughter's iPod won't connect to internet.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.