Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why is pages on imac different to pages on iPad

Ive been using pages for a while now and decided to purchase it on my imac as well. It doesnt seem to function the same and only opens in an icloud box?

when i want to swap between documents it has to be closed and then reopened. The ipad version has the documents tab at the top?

When i try and send my documents it doesnt give me the option of what format to send in eg. word, pages or pdf. So far no one has been able to open the documents unless they put it into search bar and open as a PDF. ***. Can someone help its driving me mad

Rich

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1, New to ipad

Posted on Feb 10, 2013 2:23 AM

2 replies

Feb 10, 2013 5:37 AM in response to Wood6723

IOS is a subset of Mac OS X. IOS Pages is a subset of OS X Pages. The visual developer libraries and interface design guidelines are different between the two platforms.

Pages on either platform has a choice of iCloud or local file access. On OS X, you can choose iCloud or On My Mac from the menubar of the initial open dialog. Within iTunes, you select your IOS device in the left panel. Along the top of the iTunes window for this device, will be the Apps tab. You locate Pages in the File Sharing section and select it. In the adjacent panel, you can use the Add... button (or drag and drop) to copy local Pages or Word documents onto your IOS device. Local files on your IOS device can be selected from this area and saved back to your Mac, if you didn't choose to use the IOS Sharing feature.

On your IOS device, you gain local access to Pages documents by selecting the Pages app from Settings and sliding the Use iCloud to OFF. You do not have to disable iCloud on the IOS device too.

By default, the IOS Pages saves in .pages file format. On the toolbar, the wrench icon takes you to a Share and Print menu item. When selected, it provides another menu that contains Open in Another App. Your choices are Pages, PDF, or Word. Tapping one of these icons converts the file into that format. When done, you are prompted for the application to open that converted format.

If you chose PDF, you could select any application installed on your IOS device that opens PDF. In my case, I tapped the Adobe Acrobat Reader and the converted file is displayed in that application. You could then tell Reader to Share that PDF as an email attachment back to your Mac. Or that PDF file that you just converted from Pages, is immediately available to you within iTunes in your IOS devices PDF reader file sharing list of files. Just verified this.

Feb 10, 2013 5:51 AM in response to Wood6723

On the Mac version:

You can chooose where to save the document, it does not have to be iCloud, which is only one choice.

Menu > File > Export > pdf/Word/rtf/Plain Text/ ePub

To open multiple documents you don't have to open and close them, just open as many as you like and click on the alternate windows or command tilde or Menu > Window > Select

The Pages09_UserGuide.pdf, Tutorial videos and Help are all available under the Help menu and of course you can simpley browse through the menus and the Inspectors which are well organised from big details to small, left to right.

Peter

why is pages on imac different to pages on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.