3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 10, 2013 1:13 PM by Kirby Krieger
garrett247 Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)

Hello:

I recently started using Aperture 3 and I have about 2,000 photos I want to apply keyword tags to.  Is there an easy way to do this, or how would I do it?

Thanks!

• Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6 (12,480 points)

Hi -- your question is quite general.  Have you read the User Manual?  It's my first resource for Aperture.  Here is the chapter on keywords:

Applying Keywords to Images

Your general workflow will be to group Images to which you want to apply the same keyword in a selection, and then apply the keyword.  There are many ways to apply the keyword to a selection.  I use either keywords assigned to Button Sets on the the Control Bar, or the Add Keyword field, which features auto-complete.

Others disagree, but I also suggest (unless you are a professional stock photographer) deleting the entire list of keywords that Aperture ships with, and creating your own, completely-customized-for-your-use, list.

If you do use the Add Keyword field, you might also use a strategy of using only capitalized keywords, but entering them as un-capitalized.  Auto-complete will capitalize them -- and an un-capitalized keyword in your Keyword HUD indicates that it was mis-entered.

There are lots more hints and posts regarding keywording in the forum. A search here is likely fruitful.

--Kirby.

• garrett247 Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)

I didn't know there was a user manual. Thanks.

• Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6 (12,480 points)

You're welcome.  I linked to the on-line User Manual.  This is also available locally (stored on your computer).  As with all programs, you can access it via the Help menu ("Help➞Aperture Help").

The Apple Aperture Support page is another good resource to know about.

Cheers.