Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

17" MBP excessive fan speed with Thunderbolt Display

February 2012 I purchased a new 17" MBP with 2-Thunderbolt displays. Everything I had read from Apple stated the MBP would support -2TBD'.s When I hooked them up within a short time the fans ramped up to 5,000 rpm+. Within a few days I returned to the Apple Store and had some conversations with several people about this and they recommended I purchase more RAM. I didn't agree with that but needed and wanted more RAM so I did. Of course that did not sovle the problem.

I again returned in March for more conversation and decided to purchase a Mac Mini as a computer back up. For grins I hooked up the 2-TBD's and NO fan issues. Huh??? The 17" has 1GB of video RAM and it can't run these 2-TBD's without ramping up the fans while the Mac Mini is absolutely silent?

Long story short, I've had my MBP in for observation and stress test several times over the past year and now, finally, I am now being told that this is standard operational acceptance for running 2-TBD's.

I've read a lot of other post of people having similar problems with TBD and MBA's but haven't found a similar one to the 17" MBP. Is anyone familiar with this issue?

MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Feb 10, 2013 6:26 AM

3 replies

17" MBP excessive fan speed with Thunderbolt Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.