Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari and FTP

Safari 6.0.2

OS X 10.8.2

I typed:

ftp://xx@domainname.com:password@domainname.com//xx@domainname.com:password@domainname.com

onto Safari, and hit enter. Safari can't open page.

Using Chrome and Firefox, i was able to access the ftp contents on their browser windows.

I then tried:

ftp://xx%40domainname.com:password@domainname.compassword@domainname.com

on Safari. This time a window opens up with the option of connecting as Guest or Registered User. I've tried both, but neither worked.

Kindly help/advise.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 10, 2013 4:04 PM

4 replies

Feb 11, 2013 4:48 AM in response to Tytan77

safari doesn't browse ftp, it hands it off to Finder or whatever app is the default.

direct links to files rather than directories should open or download in Safari (do here on 5.1.7)

eg:

ftp://anonymous:guest@jaguar.ncsl.nist.gov/ftp-instruct.txt

should open in Safari, whereas

ftp://anonymous:guest@jaguar.ncsl.nist.gov/

opens a Finder window

Message was edited by: andyBall_uk to (hopefully) fix mangled ftp addresses

Jun 5, 2013 8:46 AM in response to Tytan77

I actually couldn't get it to open on finder. It would open on Firefox and I didn't know how to make Fidner the default app for this.

So I tried something different and it worked... I went to the icon of Finder and right-clicked. it shows 'conect to server' from there I entered the same I was etnering into Safari and it conected to the folders.

I mean I guess it is a shortcut.

Safari and FTP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.