Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is the startup chime so loud on my iMac?

I just bought it yesterday from the Apple store, so it's brand new.

I find that the volume control does not influence the startup chime.

I've looked on-line for solutions, it seems others have this same problem. I've tried "zapping the PRAM" to no success.

Keeping an audio plug installed in the headphone jack does not disable the internal speakers from booming the startup chime.

Does anyone have a solution to this please? It seems silly that such an expensive computer should have such an uncorrected problem.

Thank you,

geo

iCloud-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Both computers are Intel iMacs

Posted on Feb 10, 2013 4:45 PM

4 replies

Feb 14, 2013 3:44 PM in response to Gusli_geo

Well, my volume control certainly does influence the start up chime and I cannot see why yours shouldn't. Use keyboard buttons F11 and F12 to adjust your sound level last thing at night and if your machine auto starts in the morning it will not wake the household.

True, if volume control is turned down to a lower level, you would have to adjust it for other sound output that you do want later, iTunes and videos on browsers etc, but it requires little effort.

Feb 14, 2013 3:58 PM in response to Gusli_geo

If this is a brand new Mac, and the startup chime doesn't respond to the volume control (provided you do not have external speakers or anything connected to the headphone jack while this is happening), and you have tried resetting the PRAM, then there is some possible hardware fault and you should contact Apple.

Message was edited by: WZZZ

Why is the startup chime so loud on my iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.