6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2013 7:02 AM by charlesfromcorrales
charlesfromcorrales Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Suddenly I get a drastic slow down while I'm working on the computer.  I suspect it is some kind o fconflict from an app but I can't find the sapp.  Any suggestions?

iMac 320, 4 gb memory on ML

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)
  • ssls6 Level 4 Level 4 (2,845 points)

Start activity monitor running when this happens.  You can check a few things from it, like what is using your CPU and memory.  Specifically, the system memory tab may give insight if your swaps (page in and page out) are really high.

Screen Shot 2013-02-11 at 7.28.13 AM.png

• charlesfromcorrales Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks  ssls6.  I have the activbiry open all the time  and when I get the slow down the pie chart jumps around al lot but the memory used stays about the same.  The widow shows all the precesses going on but I don't see anything out of the ordinary on the list.  I really don't have very many third party apps instsalled but I did upgrade Growl to 2.0 a couple days ago.  I have since shut off growl completely,it doesn't seem to want to work on this computer.  Could it be Growl was interfering with the sysytem?

Try opening the console app from utilities and watch what messages are being displayed while the problem is happening.   As for growl, it is redundant with moutain lion.

I just  reinstalled Growl 1.2.2 to check out that version. Is being redundant mean I don't need iot on ML?  I'll open the counsule and keep a check on things.

Moutain lion has a built in notification system.  You don't need growl at all.

Thanks again ssls6.  I uninstrsalled all growl apps awhile ago and everyting is running smmothly at the moment.  Will keep intouch for a while to see if I get a slowe down agsain but to date I have had none.  The notification center does the job it was intended for.  Now if I could only fighure out what is going on wuth iPhoto I'd be all set bvut that is a different question I guess.