Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMail Backup NOW Question, and more b/u

Hi: My G5 (OX 10.4) is crashing and ready to die a slow (maybe fast) death. It starts up once in a while....but mostly freezes on startup. I tried to reinstall the original disk, but half way through it detects errors and can't continue.. It is running today (I shall leave on!)

SO: I finally ordered a new iMac --- but there is a 3 way delay.

I wish, now, to backup critical stuff to a harddrive....then import later when computer arrives.

No problem on various DOCUMENTS, and iphoto and itune libraries. Just drag and drop.

BUT HOW DO I BACK UP and SAVE all the mail that is in my iMail folders? I wish to , eventually, move those to my new computer.

ALSO: my AIRPORT has crashed as well on this old G5. I cannot pull up the DSL signal in my home on thsi computer (I get, AIRPORT NOT CONFIGURED in the menu, though I've tried to set up with my DSL provider). That's why I need to import using cable.

I appreciate the Apple Community help on this.

PS: Before I start dragging and dropping today, is there an easy way to BACK UP all my various things (except applications, etc/)/

JON

G5 Desktop, Mac OS X (10.4.8), Also own G3 and G4 and Intel iMac

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 8:34 AM

7 replies

Feb 11, 2013 9:36 AM in response to DadOfSixJon

Hi Jon,

Very best would be a complete clone of the Drive so Setup Assistant/Migration Assistant can import & convert all your stuff on the new one.

But...

On Mail...

First Quit Mail, then I'd backup these two Mail folders, by right clicking on them in the Finder, then choose Archive/Compress.

Users/YourUserName/Library/Mail

Users/YourUserName/Library/Mail Downloads

(Could be a different folder here if you chose such in Mail Prefs)

Right click on that Mail folder, choose archive, you'll get everything in the folder, and the folder itself in a file called Mail.zip, move it to a safe place, same for the Mail Downloads folder... only the plist is separate.

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist

For Address Book, quit AB...

Files...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.AddressBook.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.AddressBook.abd.plist

Folders...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Caches/com.apple.AddressBook/

Though for AB, selecting All & exporting as a vCard file is more useful.

May 20, 2013 9:30 AM in response to BDAqua

I take backups of my photos, music, etc. every six months for offsite storage. I would like to add my mail to this process (I have onsite backup of the entire system covered.) The directory specified in this stream

Users/myusername/Library/Mail

does not exist on my Mac OS X 10.7.5. Can someone tell me where else I should be looking?

Thanks

May 21, 2013 11:50 AM in response to DukWings

Your problem is not the same as that of the original poster of this older thread, and it can be very confusing for everybody if we try to answer more than one question in each thread.

In order for us to give your problem our undivided attention to try to solve it, would you kindly start your own thread, describing the trouble you are having in the fullest detail, including completing your details to show what Mac you are using, what operating system, and what version of the application in question. Please remember to post in the forum relevant to your hardware or version of OS X.

This forum is for Tiger OS 10.4. You are running Lion OS 10.7

iMail Backup NOW Question, and more b/u

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.