Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Attempt to Burn Failed and Defective Files

First, I am an amatuer photographer, so I burn several dvds full of photos quite often, but only started having trouble about a month ago. I am attempting to burn a dvd of photos and it says Attempt to Burn Failed. This has happened several times while attempting to burn photos, but I have always just changed the disk out and it would work. The last couple of dvds I burned with pictures, the other party's computer (I am assuming a PC) could not read files from the disk. Now my mac will not let me burn photos to a disk at all. I attempted to pull the folder full of pics from my desktop on to a jump drive to view from a laptop, but it said they were defective files. Please help me to understnad what is going on with my desktop. Thank you in advance.

iMac

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 10:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 10:33 AM

There are 3 possibilities: 1) your optical drive has been slowly failing, 2) the laser lens has been getting progressively dirtier, 3) your media is failing. In your shoes (and I have been) I'd get a DVD/CD cleaning kit and a small box of new discs. Clean the lens and try one of the new discs. If you get a successful burn try your old media. If you get a fail you might want to try another round of testing before concluding that your old media is dead. Optical media dyes degenerate over time with cheap media lasting a year or so. If the cleaner and new media don't result in a successful burn it is time to replace the optical drive. If the computer warranty has lapsed you might consider getting an external burner - it will be about 25-35% as expensive as a new internal SuperDrive.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2013 10:33 AM in response to jewelgtw

There are 3 possibilities: 1) your optical drive has been slowly failing, 2) the laser lens has been getting progressively dirtier, 3) your media is failing. In your shoes (and I have been) I'd get a DVD/CD cleaning kit and a small box of new discs. Clean the lens and try one of the new discs. If you get a successful burn try your old media. If you get a fail you might want to try another round of testing before concluding that your old media is dead. Optical media dyes degenerate over time with cheap media lasting a year or so. If the cleaner and new media don't result in a successful burn it is time to replace the optical drive. If the computer warranty has lapsed you might consider getting an external burner - it will be about 25-35% as expensive as a new internal SuperDrive.

Attempt to Burn Failed and Defective Files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.