Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto won't open. Says CAUTIONThe iPhoto library is a Time Machine backup, and so cannot be used as the main library. Reopen iPhoto with the Option key held down to choose another library.

I tries to verify that my photos were being backed up on Time Machine to an external harddrive, because I would like to delete my Camera Roll on my iPhone. I was not able to view any photos in my backed up photo library, after entering Time machine. Now, I can't even open iPhoto on my iMac with the pop up box warning me that the library is a Time machine backup....which it shouldn't be, because I'm openning iPhoto on my Mac...NOT the external HD.

What happened, and how do I access my photos?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Brother MFC-J615w printer

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 9:38 AM

7 replies

Feb 11, 2013 10:13 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks OT for taking a stab at it, but; Nope, I did no dragging. Only tried to OPEN the photo library; First by looking directly into the HD, and secondly by entering Time Machine. That's when I first saw the spinning wheel and popup CAUTION. After closing TM, and attempting to open iPhoto from my Dock, I still got the same CAUTION that the library is a backup, blah, blah blah....spinning wheel, and the only option was to QUIT iPhoto. Therefore I can not access photos.

Apr 28, 2015 11:00 AM in response to rachpivo

but simply view the photos that were backed up to an external hard drive,

What was backed up to the EHD, the iPhoto Library or just image files? If it was the former launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and select the library on the EHD from the window that appears:

User uploaded file

If they are just image files then you'll need a 3rd party image browser or import them into iPhoto and view them within iPhoto.

iPhoto won't open. Says CAUTIONThe iPhoto library is a Time Machine backup, and so cannot be used as the main library. Reopen iPhoto with the Option key held down to choose another library.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.