Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What effect do icons in dock have on performance?

I have installed an app (QuickPick) that may make this question academic, but before I remove most of the icons from my dock, I want to be sure that it is as good as I think it is. In any event, my dock is crowded with icons to a ridiculous point, but I don't notice any effect upon performance, However, Sometimes I am bothered with the spinningball, and I am wondering if the cause might be too many icons in the dock.

iDVD 7.1.1 (1150)

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 9:43 AM

5 replies

Feb 11, 2013 9:55 AM in response to Niku

Never heard of QuickPick but, no, the icons in the Dock have no effect on performance as they are only aliases.

As for the SPOD, that could be caused by a slowdown due to insufficient free space on your hard drive.

Useful article here on the causes of the Spinning Beach Ball and how to troubleshoot it:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9177479/Troubleshoot_the_spinning_beach_b all?taxonomyId=89&pageNumber=1

and also this:

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/sbbod.html

Feb 11, 2013 10:28 AM in response to Niku

Thanks for the reasurance, but I think I'll still remove many of the icons (there are so many that they are too tiny to read easily). Also, thanks very much for the article on Activity Monitor. I've had it i some time, but I hadn't been using it properly, and the article will help me get the most out of it. As to QuickPick, it's an app I downloaded from MacUpdate. It enables me to keep track of all of the applications I have. I've always had the problem of forgetting what I had downloaded and what I had, but this app shows them all in one place. If you're interested, here's the link <http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/36467/quickpick>

Feb 11, 2013 10:51 AM in response to Niku

You can change the size of the Dock's icon's. You can also turn on Magnification, which makes them larger as you move the pointer across the Dock. I bunch my Applications by general category on the Dock (for example, all of my Photography apps are in one bunch) which is much easier than climbing through the Apps folder, and I have never been a fan of Launchpad, which takes all of the bad points of iOS with none of the good things.

By the way, because I see this all the time, you don't get any "points" for awarding yourself for solving your own question. You have to gain points the old fashioned way-helping others.

Feb 11, 2013 11:34 AM in response to OrangeMarlin

Thanks, I already knew that I could adjust their sizes, but they have to be tiny because there are so many of them. As to the "points," many of the cases you've "seen many times before" were probably from me, because I guess I was awarding "points" the wrong way. It would be silly to award "points" to myself. I was trying to give them to the person who had helped me. It seems to me that there have been times when I was unable to award "points". That's why I changed the way I did it. I guess the order is the thing. From now on, until corrected, I'll click on "solved" and then I'll enter my reply. I have been doing it in the reverse order, but I have no apologies, the correct method is not self-evident, at least to me. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, though.

Feb 11, 2013 11:45 AM in response to Niku

It's no big deal on the points. But if you want to be a part of this community and gain points, participation will get you points. I didn't try that hard (and have been a member for 10 years). As you can see, I average a few hundred a year. I come and go, usually when I ask a question, then I see a few questions I can answer. I stick around for a few days or weeks, then I have to get back to real work.

This isn't a mean place either. Some of the people who have big numbers are allowed to be jerks, which they do mercilessly, but mostly be nice, try to be accurate, and if you don't know the answer, ignore the question. Plenty of people will help out.

Also stick in communities about which you are knowledgeable. For example, I stay away from all the networking stuff. Hate it.

As for the dock, to each their own. I love it. But some people get used to other ways.

As for the dock, e

What effect do icons in dock have on performance?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.