Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with iPhoto?

When I open iPhoto (v 8.1.2} I get a spinning beach ball for 30-40 sdeconds before I can use it. I copied the Cincole output about tghis and it is :

11 9:01:04.465 AM iPhoto[457]: This process is attempting to exclude an item from Time Machine by path without administrator privileges. This is not supported.

11 9:01:04.466 AM iPhoto[457]: This process is attempting to exclude an item from Time Machine by path without administrator privileges. This is not supported.

11 9:01:04.599 AM iPhoto[457]: CFURLGetFSRef was passed this URL which has no scheme (the URL may not work with other CFURL routines): /Applications/iPhoto.app

11 9:01:04.602 AM iPhoto[457]: CFURLGetFSRef was passed this URL which has no scheme (the URL may not work with other CFURL routines): /Applications/iPhoto.app

11 9:01:04.603 AM iPhoto[457]: CFURLGetFSRef was passed this URL which has no scheme (the URL may not work with other CFURL routines): /Applications/iPhoto.app

11 9:01:04.606 AM iPhoto[457]: CFURLGetFSRef was passed this URL which has no scheme (the URL may not work with other CFURL routines): /Applications/iPhoto.app, which makes no sense to me at all. The only way I can get iPhoto to open without a spinning beachball is to unplug the ehertnet cabel to the modem and then open iPhoto. If I wait for the beac ballto wuit spinning the app wotks just fine. all the rest of the application on the computer work just fine with no spinning beach ball/ Any clues as to what is going on our there?

iMac 320 HD, 4 GB memory, ML

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 10:13 AM

8 replies

Feb 11, 2013 10:15 AM in response to charlesfromcorrales

- quit iPhoto

- click finder in the dock, so the word finder appears beside the apple. Also note in the top menu, is the word "Go", click the go menu and then hold down your option key on your keyboard. This will make a "library" appear under your home in the Go drop down. Select the library, then go to your preferences folder.

There, look for the following files, and drag them out to your desktop:

- com.apple.iApps.plist

- com.apple.iPhoto.plist

Go back one screen by clicking the backward arrow and select the "Caches folder", or go back to "Go" hold down your option key on your keyboard, and select the library, the folder entitled "Caches"

There, look for the following files, and drag them out to your desktop:

- com.apple.iPhoto

- test iPhoto and tell me what happens

Feb 11, 2013 10:39 AM in response to KarenSelena

I dragged said plist and caches to the desk yop and opened iPhoto, I got a spinning beach ball for abouit 10 second then a window to check out iPhot. When i closed tyhat window the iPhot app was normal. The second time I opened iPhot I goet a window asking if I wanted to use iPhoto for my digitals but I could not answer the question because the spinning beach ball went for about 20 seconds, then iPhoto opened to a normal mode. The third time iPhot produced a spiining veach ball for 30-40 seconds before it let me in.

Feb 11, 2013 10:50 AM in response to charlesfromcorrales

Does this occure with any other applications, or just iPhoto? How many images are in iPhoto?

It could be your iPhoto Library is corrupt. To test this, quit iPhoto. Hold down your "option" key on your keyboard, and with it held down, launch iPhoto. Continue to hold it down until you see a window asking to "choose an iPhoto Library". On this window, your current Library will be listed in the middle section of the screen with the word "default" beside it, and it's location will be listed under the rectangled box.

Click the "create new" button at the bottom, and create a new library. Does this happen in a new library??

User uploaded file

Feb 11, 2013 2:01 PM in response to charlesfromcorrales

Apply the two fixes below in

Fix #1

Launch iPhoto with the Command+Option keys held down and rebuild the library.

User uploaded file

Select the options identified in the screenshot.

Fix #2

Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

• Download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.
  • Click on the Add Library button, navigate to your Home/Pictures folder and select your iPhoto Library folder.
  • Now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the File ➙ Rebuild Library menu option
  • In the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed.
  • Click on the Create button.

• Note: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments but not books, calendars or slideshows. The original library will be left untouched for further attempts at fixing the problem or in case the rebuilt library is not satisfactory.

OT

Feb 12, 2013 3:32 AM in response to Old Toad

Thnaks OT but neither fix worked. Guesss I'll just have to bite the bullet and purchse an update or keep unplugging the ethernet cabel huh? I've tried everything that the forum and others have suggested but nothing seems to work on this computer. Foe one thing the iPhoto Library Manage ws really difficult to use but I finally got it figured out. Fix #1 did nothing to help the situation. appreciate the try.

CAH

Feb 12, 2013 9:42 AM in response to charlesfromcorrales

Have you asked in the Mt. Lion forum about the Time Machine issue? There are some TM experts that hang out there that might be able to shed some light on the problem.

I found this old MacFixit article about permissions and Time Machine:

Source: http://www.macfixit.com/

Page Title: Mac OS X and iPod Troubleshooting, Support, and Help - MacFixIt

Date: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 8:48:13 AM

Time Machine permissions problems after Mac OS X 10.5.6

After updating to Mac OS X 10.5.6, many users are experiencing problems with Time Machine backups, wherein the system will show an error stating the users does not have sufficient privileges on required files for the backups.

Apple Discussions poster GreggSymington writes:

"After the 10.5.6 update today my backup is no longer recognized, and when trying to reselect the drive i get this error: You do not have appropriate access privileges to save the files '.001b6397c156' in folder 'Backup'."

Time Machine associates backups to the computer based on the computer's MAC address, which is a unique identifier number associated with the ethernet card. The computer stores this information in an invisible file that has the computer's MAC address as it's name. This file is stored at the root of the Time Machine drive, enabling the drive to be used with multiple computers. For some reason, the latest OS update has altered either the file or how permissions are read from the file. Basically, this file has become corrupted, and users should be able to manually reset ownership and permissions on the file with the terminal.

Fix: Change ownership and permissions on the file In the "Terminal" application, perform the following steps to figure out what the file is called, and then change the permissions on it accordingly.

1. Type "cd" followed by a single space, and then drag the Time Machine drive to the Terminal window. The command should then look something like this:

cd /Volumes/Backup

2. Press enter to submit that command, and then enter the following command:

ls -la

3. Note the name of the file that begins with a period and has 12 characters in the name, such as ".001b6397c156" mentioned in the quote above.

4. Now enter the following commands, substituting "FILENAME" in the commands with the file name exactly as it's shown both in the error as well as in the output of the command in step 2, including the period before it (ie: ".001b6397c156"):

sudo chown `id -un` FILENAME

sudo chmod 400 FILENAME

After each of these commands are entered, users will need to supply their passwords (which will not be shown) and the Time Machine backups should work again.

I don't know if there's anything in it that would apply.

HOWEVER, here's probably the best TM treatise out there: Time Machine - Troubleshooting. The author also wrote this User Tip: All about TIME MACHINE: Apple Support Communities and hangs out in the Mt. Lion forums.

Help with iPhoto?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.