Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPrint lost after update to 10.8.2 with my Canon PIXMA MG5300

Hi! I've just updated to 10.8.2 and printing to my PIXMA MG5300 via Airprint is no longer working.

Here's what's happening:

When I tried to print, the print queue would time out, stating a communication error.

Here's what I've tried:

I removed the printer from Print & Scan settings and tried to re-add using 'Nearby Printers' but I get an error message "Cannot communicate with the printer at this time".

I get the same error message if I try to add it by selecting the printer from 'Add Printer or Scanner', selecting the printer and selecting 'Use: Airprint'.

User uploaded file

I was recommended to remove the drivers from Library->Printers->Canon into the Trash. So I did.

I then downloaded and installed the latest package of Canon drivers from Apple Support at http://support.apple.com/kb/DL899

After a restart I tried adding the printer again with the same results.

And just to be clear:

The printer is on.

The printer is connected to the same WiFi access point as the Mac.

I can print fine when I cable connect to the printer.

I tried switching everything off and on again 🙂

Any ideas? Similar Problems??

Thanks Everyone.

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 2:01 PM

14 replies

Feb 11, 2013 2:38 PM in response to tamarajane_com

When you select to add the printer and choose Add Printer or Scanner, with the Default printer browser open, you should see two entries - one showing Bonjour Multifunction and the other showing canonijnetwork. If you select the canonijnetwork entry and then ensure the Use menu shows "MG5300 series" instead of AirPrint, add this printer to see if you can print.

Feb 11, 2013 6:37 PM in response to tamarajane_com

Thanks for checking that.

The printer has an internal web server so if you open your web browser and enter the IP address of the MG as the URL, this will connect to this internal web server.

If you do not know the IP address of the MG you can use Bonjour within Safari to browse for the printer. To do this you will have to open Safari Preferences and enable Bonjour in the Bookmarks tab. With this completed, select the Bonjour entry from your Bookmarks menu and the MG should be listed.

If the MG does not appear in the Bookmarks view, turn off the power to the MG and unplug the power cord for a couple of minutes. Then reconnect the power cord, turn it back on and give it a minute to reconnect to your wireless network. Then see if this will let you print.

Feb 11, 2013 11:44 PM in response to tamarajane_com

Thanks for all your help PAHU, it's working. The trouble is I don't know exactly what did it, but with enough tinkering around, we have printing joy.

I wish I could be more helpful to others having the same problem.

My most recent changes were to reset the server on the printer and do a fresh install of the 3rd party driver (which I've always been warned against doing when it comes to Mac's & printers...)

Anyway, after this and doing the same add's and remove's of the printer over and over, I suddenly saw

User uploaded file

the CanonIJNetwork version of the printer appear!

I haven't tinkered around this much with printers and drivers since ye olde days of the PC

I'm sure glad it's over, thanks for all your help, again.

Feb 12, 2013 12:33 AM in response to tamarajane_com

Great to read you got it working. With the canonijnetwork now appearing in the Add printer view, I would say that the reset of the printer network settings was the fix.

As for the 3rd party drivers, Apple does not make the printer drivers. The vendors make them and supply to Apple so that they can be downloaded from Apple when the printer is connected. So whoever warned you about the printer drivers needs to update their advice...

Mar 26, 2015 12:03 PM in response to ujayank

Thank you SO VERY MUCH for this simple solution. I tried so many different things to resolve this problem and nothing was working. Apple suggested that I call Canon. So, I called them and they were willing to walk me through "the fix" for $49.99 ... I told them "no thanks - I'll replace the printer first!". And, then I just found your post ... to unplug the printer and wait up to 30 seconds. And, I thought, "could it BE that simple"?! I did it, and it worked!!!! I can't believe they were going to charge me $49.99 when all I needed to do was unplug the darn printer! Unbelievable. Thank you so much!

AirPrint lost after update to 10.8.2 with my Canon PIXMA MG5300

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.