Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forwarded pictures turn into little squares with flashing question mark

Occasionally someone forwards me some email with supposed picture attachments but the pictures don't forward and are represented by little squares with flashing question marks.

Any idea what causes this?

(I use Mac mail and Safari).

-Louise

G5, Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on May 13, 2006 9:23 PM

2 replies

May 14, 2006 2:34 PM in response to Louise Addis

There are a few things that cause this, I've found.

Sometimes it's because the email includes images in a format that Mail doesn't like, but it can also be because the attached graphics had their names changed (or were deleted completely) by an outgoing- or incoming-mail virus scanner, or because the graphics weren't really included in the email, but were really just HTML links to images stored on a web site somewhere, and the site has gone down or moved the images.

You can usually tell which has happened by looking at the message's attachments. If there aren't any attachments, then either they've been deleted or stripped from the message, or the message points to dead Internet links.

If there are attached files, you can look at them to see if they have names that look funny (e.g., many virus programs add the word "DEFANGED" to file names), and might have been changed. Also see if they come up with the right icon (Picture icon saying JPEG, GIF, BMP, or PNG, usually). If they're just plain white generic file icons, then they might be something that your computer can't read.

Power Macintosh G5 Dual 2GHz Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Forwarded pictures turn into little squares with flashing question mark

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.