Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Proper way to setup two airport express and router in a single wireless network

Hi,

I have a Thompson router from my internet provider in the basement. Cat-6 cables go from this router to each floor in the house. At each floor I have an Airport express connected to these cat-6 cables.

What is the proper way to setup my airports so that I have only one wirless network in the whole house (basement and two floors). I want to be able to print a document from my ipad in the second floor to the wirless printer on the first floor, etc..

I get confused with the "Roaming network", "bridge mode" and the other terms in the airport setup.

I just need to know what kind of network do I need to tell the airport setup wizard to use.

Please help

Dell XPS630i, Windows 7

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 4:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 5:35 PM

Take a look at this Apple document on creating a "Roaming Network".

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4260

Not sure it will work with the Thompson router but maybe it will give you some ideas.

9 replies

Feb 11, 2013 5:50 PM in response to FlyingDude

just need to know what kind of network do I need to tell the airport setup wizard to use.

Unfortunately, the "wizard" does not mention anything like a "roaming network"

Setup each AirPort device to "create a wireless network" using the same wireless network name, same wireless security setting and same wireless network password as your Thompson wireless network. Accept Apple's recommendation to configure the AirPorts in Bridge Mode.

Most users know the name of their wireless network and the password, but few know exactly what type of wireless security settings their router is using. The wireless security settings on the Thompson router and Apple AirPorts must match up exactly.....otherwise the wireless will not behave as one network.

So, do not proceed with the setup until you know exactly what type of wireless security the Thompson router is using, since you will need that information to be able to configure the AirPorts correctly.

Feb 12, 2013 9:04 AM in response to Bob Timmons

OK, I did as instructed... the two airports and the router are setup exactly the same. including the channel. The two airports are setup as bridge mode so that my router is the one distributing IP addresses. I have now wifi signal everywhere.

The ipad Airport app shows the world (internet) and the two airports below it under a bracket, both at the same level.

A couple of followup questions:

1) How can I check that all three access points (the two airports and my router wifi) are in the same wifi network?

2) Looking at the airport utility, it seems that the wifi clients on the 2nd floor are connected to the airport in the 1st floor instead of the one on the 2nd floor (which is closer) and --as expected-- they don't get an excellent signal.

Why is this happening? What could be wrong in my setup?

Again thanks for your help.

Feb 12, 2013 10:20 AM in response to FlyingDude

1) How can I check that all three access points (the two airports and my router wifi) are in the same wifi network?

If you configured the AirPorts in Bridge Mode, they are on the same network as the Thompson router. You can verify this if you can check the client device list for the Thompson router. You will see that the AirPorts are on the same network.

Everything will behave as if it is on the same network if you used the same wireless network name, same password and same wireless security on all the wireless routers.

the two airports and the router are setup exactly the same. including the channel.

Unless this means that you are using the "Automatic" channel setting, you want each wireless router separated by at least 3-4 channels from the others. So, if the Thompson is on Channel 1, then manually set one AirPort at Channel 6, and the other at Channel 11 or similar.

As far as 5 GHz, just set the routers to use a different channel....you don't need to worry about separating them by 3-4 channels on this band.

Looking at the airport utility, it seems that the wifi clients on the 2nd floor are connected to the airport in the 1st floor instead of the one on the 2nd floor (which is closer) and --as expected-- they don't get an excellent signal.

This will depend on what "clients" you are talking about. If you have a recent Mac laptop, you can "walk" it around the house and it will automatically switch to the wireless access point with the best signal.

If your "clients" are iOS devices like an iPhone or iPad, this will not usually occur since the iOS operating system is greaty simplified.

iOS devices tend to "hang on" to the access point with which they originally connected. Even if you move the iOS device closer to another AirPort, it may not "switch" to that AirPort. Nature of the beast with iOS.

If you move the iOS device to another area, you will likely need to either power it down and power back up, or turn off the wireless on the device and turn it back on so that the iOS device will hopefully switch access points and pick up the stronger signal.

Feb 17, 2013 8:20 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob Timmons wrote:

If I manually change the channel to 1,6 and 11, will my iOS devices (iPads/iPhones) switch to the nearest/strongest Airport?

Unfortunately, no. Manually changing the channels will not fix a shortcoming of the iOS operating system.

Actually, iOS devices WILL automatically switch to the best signal with a properly set up roaming network. My iOS devices do this just fine. Early versions of iOS on the iPad 1 had problems with this, and were also non-compliant with the Wi-Fi spec in many other ways. Most of this has been cleaned up now.

There are two reasons why Flying Dude's iOS devices are not switching.

1. The channels are the same on all the access points (Airports and Thompson router). This will create automatic switching problems on all Wi-Fi devices, not just iOS. The interference caused by having the same channel enabled on access points in close proximity will also create the poor performance that Flying Dude is complaining about.

2. If the signal from the first AP is still "good enough" then the device won't change APs even in the face of a stronger signal. This is done to prevent excessive switching, which can degrade performance. A Wi-Fi device won't even look for an alternative AP until the signal of it's current connection falls below a certain threshold. That threshold is determined by the device manufacturer. I've heard that iOS devices have lower performance thresholds and tend to hang on to the existing AP longer than other devices, but they will switch if it gets bad enough.

The implication is that the lower signal is probably good enough, even though a better signal is available. If you fix the channel problems you should have adequate throughput from whatever AP your iOS device decides to use. That is cetainly true in my house.

Feb 18, 2013 7:52 AM in response to RadicalDad

You are right, RadicalDad.

The IT guys here at the office also suggested using diferent channels but I took their reccommendation with hesitation since they are not "Apple literate". But they told me exactly what you are saying.

I changed to different channels on the two APs and my devices do indeed switch to the nearest AP when you roam around the house. You are right also on the fact that if the signal is good enough, albeit weaker, the listening device won't change to the stronger AP; it has to be real bad in order for the device to make the switch.

Thanks to all.

I learned quite a bit from Bob and RadicalDad.

Proper way to setup two airport express and router in a single wireless network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.