Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Loud fan and metal cracking noise on Macbook Pro 13''?

I have the late 2011 model Macbook Pro 13''. The problem started out with just a loud fan, the computer started to operate really slowly and just yesterday I started to hear loud metal rattling on the inside. At first it was just when I turned the computer but now it will do it periodically while it's sitting completely still while running. It also is heating up a lot. I've already gone to Activity Monitor and killed all activities using too much CPU and the fan doesn't stop.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 4:55 PM

1 reply

Feb 23, 2013 12:34 AM in response to apetersen93

I have the same model and accidentally dropped mine off my bed today.
I looked around for a while to see what the noise could have been and found this
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1935?viewlocale=en_US which seems to explain the problem, even if you haven't dropped yours. My fan has also been loud lately but it seems unrelated.

I'd suggest you try turning off the SMS and then back on.
I did that with mine and it hasn't made any more noise since. If that doesn't help, it's never a bad idea to go to the apple store to have it looked at. Especially for how expensive the computer is.

Loud fan and metal cracking noise on Macbook Pro 13''?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.