Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change default media player setting in Mountain Lion

I right click on the desired media player, then I click on "get info" and another pop up appears,

but there is no "open with" selection! See pic below:

I open the application folder in the Finder window, I highlight the desired media player, I go to the top and

click on File and in the drop down menu, the "open with" is grayed out. Why?

How do I change the default media player setting or better yet, where do I find what is the default player? Help Please!

User uploaded file

iMac (20-inch Mid 2007), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 8:10 PM

7 replies

Feb 11, 2013 9:19 PM in response to Barney-15E

Hi Barney,

Thank you very, very much for responding and trying to help.

I have no idea of what you are talking about. I am not tekkie savvy.

As you can see by the pic above, I have used the "get info" to get the pop up shown in the pic above

in my first post, but there is NO "open with" in this pop up to allow me to change the file.

I watched a youtube video and I followed the same path the video showed, but my pop

up did not have that "open with" option that the video showed.

I wish to open with iTunes or with Quicktime, just like the video showed, but I can't bcos of

what I stated above.

See the youtube video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryy8O4aFTe8

Feb 11, 2013 10:13 PM in response to CheeMiss8

CheeMiss8

you need to find the file you are trying to have open with a specific application.

for example, I'm going to use an MP4 file titled cat_adventure video.

User uploaded file

here it is in finder

I right click (secondary click) it in finder, and then hold down the option key on my keyboard.

the Open With dialogue should change to "Always Open With" and then you choose your application from the pull out menu when you hover that.

User uploaded file

You can make it so all MP4 or whichever file you are using (AVI, MKV, etc) to open with a specific app by right clicking the file choosing get info

User uploaded file

The difference here is I'm not selecting the application but a file with the extension of the video format I always want to be opened with a specific application

once in the get info menu I can then select to have the video always open with a certain app.

1.click the open with accordion menu arrow if it is pointing to the left. it should be pointing down.

2.select the application you want to always be associated with that file format

3.select Change All to have that file format always be opened with that Application.

User uploaded file

Where this isn't working for you is because you are doing this to the Application itself. you don't do it like that. You need to find the type of file you are trying to open with itunes and then go through these steps.

selecting the application (itunes) instead of the file (mp4, avi, mkv, flv) will not allow you to set what the file format lets you use to play your video.

having said that, itunes is very limited in what it can and can't play. Mainly .mov and mp4's (apples proprietary extensions)

Feb 11, 2013 10:22 PM in response to TheSmokeMonster

OMG

TheSmokeMonster

, you have gone to great lengths to enlighten me. You are truly amazing. I wish I was more tekkie savvy like you.

BLESS YOU FOR BEING YOU!

Thank you, I now, finally understand.

I was thinking I needed to change the default setting bcos I was having trouble watching the youtube videos.

They take forever to buffer, stall & won't continue.

I removed Perian as it is not ML friendly and also removed VLC bcos I read that Quicktime does it all & I was having trouble watching online movies streaming.

I uninstalled and re-installed Adobe Reader & Flash, Flip4Mac & Quicktime. The movie streaming works great now, but the youtube video's are still a b*tch to watch. Even the youtube link I provided took me over 20 minutes to watch all the way thru. I had to constantly refresh the page and drag the slider button back and forth.

The only extension I have is Ad Blocker.

Do you have any idea why this is happening? Should I re-install VLC, will that make a difference?

Feb 11, 2013 11:50 PM in response to CheeMiss8

Actually, watching streaming content on the website itself is usually the best practice for me, because I can choose to view it in HD or none HD depending on my connection.

I think the issue you are facing here, is either your video card, but it is most likely your Internet Service Provider.

I would call them and request to be upgraded.

Depending on how long you've been with them, you could have some leverage in getting them to bring your rate down. but that's up to you.

This could also be due to other people who are using your internet connection. Sometimes, if someone else is downloading a large file or if someone is also using the same Modem connection you are using, your internet will be bugged down, because it is downloading and uploading to their's and your computer, and it will sometimes clog things up.

I use VLC to watch some of the films I backed up.

I've not had a good expereince with using Quicktime to play some of my backed up movies, even with perian installed. You will not be able to play some file formats without Perian, since that is the plugin that is supposed to unlock Quicktime to work with all media (I have yet to see that)

I never have watched a youtube video on VLC but I have watched some ShoutCast TV stuff which usually loads fine, given my internet connection is at full speed.

But in a nutshell it's your internet connection, and you either need to call your ISP or see if anyone in your residence is using your internet. If you have a wifi connection, make sure it is locked with a secure WPA2 encryption that only you know. Sometimes, if neighbors are close enough, they can use your internet with out you being the wiser.

Thank you for letting me help you today, you have been very responsive and I appreciate that. You are better at using this forum then some people I have seen on here.

you could go here to see if your speeds are below the advertised rate you're paying for here http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/

here is what I ranked

User uploaded file

How to change default media player setting in Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.