Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password required for Trash?

Suddenly, every time I try to put something in the trash can it wants my password, saying "Finder wants to make changes. Type your password to allow this." & then it will delete the item immediately. How do I change it back so that I can merely place things in the trash & delete them manually later?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 8:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 9:45 PM

1. Triple-click the line below to select it:

~/.Trash

2. Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Show Info

from the contextual menu. An Info dialog should open.

3. The dialog should show "You can read and write" in the Sharing & Permissions section. If that's not what it shows, click the padlock icon in the lower right corner of the window and enter your password when prompted. Use the plus- and minus-sign buttons to give yourself Read & Write access and "everyone" No Access. Delete any other entries in the access list.

4. In the General section, uncheck the box marked Locked if it's checked.

5. From the action menu (gear icon) at the bottom of the dialog, select Apply to enclosed items and confirm.

6. Close the Info window and test.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2013 9:45 PM in response to CountingWithStraws

1. Triple-click the line below to select it:

~/.Trash

2. Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Show Info

from the contextual menu. An Info dialog should open.

3. The dialog should show "You can read and write" in the Sharing & Permissions section. If that's not what it shows, click the padlock icon in the lower right corner of the window and enter your password when prompted. Use the plus- and minus-sign buttons to give yourself Read & Write access and "everyone" No Access. Delete any other entries in the access list.

4. In the General section, uncheck the box marked Locked if it's checked.

5. From the action menu (gear icon) at the bottom of the dialog, select Apply to enclosed items and confirm.

6. Close the Info window and test.

Password required for Trash?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.