Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Powermac G5 video problems

Hello,

I have a Powermac G5 Dual processor 2 GHz; I believe it’s the first generation G5 Model.

I got this mac 2 weeks ago, I was told that the video card was probably broken, it seemed to be, no display when turned on.

As a stopgap I used an old PCI Rage card from a B&W G3 and it happily booted from that, as you can imagine the performance was a bit grim but it worked.

I've managed to source an NVidia 5200 AGP card for it but when I put it in the AGP slot and boot it bongs and the fans start normally but the display remains blank, basically exactly the same as the ATI 9600 it came with. If I leave the machine on the fans gradually increase in speed. Pressing the power switch for 5 seconds turns it off

I’ve tried resetting the PMU and tried resetting the Pram but, it seems to not boot to the stage where the keyboard is recognised so it does not reset.

Thinking the new card was also duff I put back in the old PCI card but the machine does exactly the same now as it does with the AGP cards.

I’ve left the machine now unplugged from the wall with the battery removed.

Any ideas what is going on??

Thanks!

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 1:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 2:20 AM

Sounds like the machine isn't getting to logic; CPU, RAM or logic board issues most likely.

The biggest trouble with G5 machines is failing solder connections, most commonly around memory controllers and slots.

This is commonly acompanied by failed POST at startup with the machine beeping or power LED flashing.

However, the same solder connects all other components to their respective attachments; CPU connections to the card could also be at issue.

Solder issues are very often sporadic, especially at first, often allowing just enough operation to give a glimmer of hope to a fatal condition.

Sourcing a copy of the ASD 2.5.8 would give a nice troubleshooting test suite.

Reseat the hard drive connectors.

Try booting.

Try booting to OS X Install Disc.

Remove the RAM (noting position), reseat, try starting.

(I would) then reseat the processors.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2013 2:20 AM in response to epwg1

Sounds like the machine isn't getting to logic; CPU, RAM or logic board issues most likely.

The biggest trouble with G5 machines is failing solder connections, most commonly around memory controllers and slots.

This is commonly acompanied by failed POST at startup with the machine beeping or power LED flashing.

However, the same solder connects all other components to their respective attachments; CPU connections to the card could also be at issue.

Solder issues are very often sporadic, especially at first, often allowing just enough operation to give a glimmer of hope to a fatal condition.

Sourcing a copy of the ASD 2.5.8 would give a nice troubleshooting test suite.

Reseat the hard drive connectors.

Try booting.

Try booting to OS X Install Disc.

Remove the RAM (noting position), reseat, try starting.

(I would) then reseat the processors.

Feb 14, 2013 2:12 AM in response to epwg1

Reseated the ram and made sure everything was in place, booted fine from the PCI card but still no go on the AGP card.

I have tried a flashed Nvidia 6200 card, it didn't work properly as the rom was for a 256mb card and this one was only 128mb but it did produce a distorted display that told me that the AGP slot is working, I was beginning to wonder if that was duff.

so...it's staying with the PCI video until I can find another AGP card to try.

Feb 14, 2013 1:10 PM in response to japamac

More progress 🙂

Found a AGP card in my old gigabit G4 (Rage something or other 32 mg) but it had a lug on the front that prevented it going into the G5's AGP slot. On closer inspection the lug was not electrically connected to the rest of the card, it just looked like it was there for support.

So.. one cut off lug later I popped it into the G5 and pressed the power button and the machine boots the desktop totally happy with the 'new card'. I now know the AGP slot is fine just hit on unlucky with 2 broken graphics cards.

It will do for now 🙂

Powermac G5 video problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.