8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2013 2:17 PM by apple_customer
apple_customer Level 1 Level 1 (45 points)

Hi, all.

What is the status on Notes and Reminders ?

Are they still not synchronizable via iTunes or Wi-Fi ?

Any applications available for both OS X and iOS that can be synchorized via iTunes and/or Wi-Fi and that allow the exchange of both notes and tasks/to dos between Macs and iPhones/iPads ?

TIA.

• Eric Ross Level 6 Level 6 (11,660 points)

If you have Mac OS X 10.8 installed and iCloud setup they should sync automatically.  What version of Mac OS X are you using?

• TheSmokeMonster Level 4 Level 4 (3,230 points)

you need to have the most up to date versions of iOS to have your Notes and Reminders synced throughout your devices.

You also need to be logged into the same iCloud account you are using on your computer.

once all your devices have your icloud account, they should automagically sync your notes and notifications.

if they aren't you may have turned this feature off on one of your devices.

go to system preferences>icloud and make sure you have what you want synced with icloud checked on.

I would go ahead and check if "Find My Mac" is turned on while in this area.

also, on your devices, you can go to settings>icloud and make sure everything is turned to "on"

this is how you sync your stuff. I hope this helped

• apple_customer Level 1 Level 1 (45 points)

Hi, Eric Ross and TheSmokeMonster.

I appreciate your help and prompt reply.

My problem is the fact that as a healthcare provider I am required by law to maintain my data private and confidential. I can't use cloud based services including icloud.

It is important that my data be synchronized locally without it travelling on the Internet via either iTunes or Wi-Fi.

Can this be accomplished with Notes & Reminders ? I upgraded to Mountain Lion primarily because of my desire to work with Reminders. In addition to not being able to work with Reminders because of the iCloud-only sync method I also lost Notes as it used to be synchronized locally when it was part of Mail and in Mountain Lion Apple remove this option and made Notes iCloud sync only.

Has this been modified ? Is there a way now to sync both these applications ?

In case this can't be done, are there similar third party applications that can do the same and be synchronized via iTunes or Wi-Fi ?

TIA.

• Eric Ross Level 6 Level 6 (11,660 points)

Take a look at this link, http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1296

In Eric's link , and through another link in that link, you'll get to this:

Screen Shot 2013-02-12 at 1.15.08 PM.png

But you already knew that.

if you have PDF's you can sync them with ibooks on iTunes locally. That is one of the only native ways I know how to get text from your computer onto your phone locally.

I am unaware of other applications that do this but I'm sure they're out there.

Hi, Eric and TheSmokeMonster.

I am having a difficult time understanding the rational behind these changes. Anyone who uses an iPhone for anything related to business and/or professional activities knows how important it is to have the ability to sync notes and reminders (or tasks, or do do lists) with it.

Many users are in the same situation I am in and can't use iCloud. In other forums where I posted this very same question many have stepped forward with the same concerns and limitations over data synchronized via cloud services. Why should any company adopt a single sync method that fails to meet the needs of a very large percentage of its user base ?

As far as a third party solution I have yet to find one that offers apps for OS X and iOS (iPhone, preferably iPad too) and allows local sync via iTunes and/or Wi-Fi. In case anyone knows of any available ones please share with me as I have an urgent need to sync my iPhone with my Mac.

TIA.

This question is better asked at

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Sorry I couldn't help you further.

HI, TheSmokeMonster.

You helped me a lot by confirming that the issue remains unaddressed. I decided to post a question here to learn if something had changed since the last time I looked into it.

It seems hard to believe that Apple would remove the one feature that makes the iPhone so valuable particularly for business users. I can no longer carry the iPhone with me and use it as a business tool. Considering the Palm Pilot was doing this more than 10 years ago it is difficult to understand this business decision.

Thank you for your help and the link to Apple's feedback page. I have already posted this very suggestion there a few times over the past 6 months but in vain since Apple doesn't seem interested in providing this solution to its users.

Thank you, again.