Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

emails gone upon lion upgrade

I just finally installed 10.7 Lion. Opened Mail, saw in the Inbox the list of my 25.000 emails. But on clicking on one of them, they email would not show in the main window, only 'Loading...'.

Shut Mail down, reopened. Rebuilt the Inbox.

Now almost all emails are gone, only very recent are there.

Been trolling, searching for solutions for this issue but have not seen one yet.

Any help, pointers, questions appreciated.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), early 2011 i7, 2.2ghz intel, 16gb

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 3:03 AM

2 replies

Feb 12, 2013 10:50 AM in response to pulot pulot1

update:

had backed up, got my email files from the backup disk and copied to the computer.

these are mbox files, but i think in a different format. in that Inbox folder were many other files, which are not in the new Lion Inbox folder. there, there is only one files: Info.plist.

Where are the email files kept, under 10.7 Lion? are they hidden?

Wierder: i search for .emlx files, visible or invisible. And! i see some files dated this year. ... then they quickly disappear, and the latest emails which show in the search are five years ago.

Also:

i tried the Import Mailbox feature of Mail. Tried to import these same files which i copied from the backup disk. When i look at those .emlx files individually, i can read them, and i see recent dates. But having imported these same files into Mail, i see only emails from five years ago! For some reason, Mail stops importing , it seems, after a certain date..... or something?

emails gone upon lion upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.