Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Up Next vs. Play Next

Ok, can anyone explain the difference between those two features?

Because for me, they do exactly identical thing: when I add songs to Up Next, iTunes puts them at the top of the list and will start playing them as soon as the currently playing song ends. And after playing the newly added songs, it will Back to the previously added ones. Identically, when I add songs to Play Next, iTunes adds them at the top of the list with the title Up Next.

Shouldn't Play Next play songs immidately after the currently playing one ends, and Up Next just add them at the end of the queue and play them only when their queue is up?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 7:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 8:54 AM

Hi

Yes, Play Next should play songs immediately after the currently playing one ends, and Up Next just add them at the end of the queue and play them only when their queue is up.

That's how it is working for me. If I select, say 10 songs using Up Next they will be the next songs to play. However, when I use Play Next for another track, it plays next. If use UP next on another track it goes to bottom of list.

Jim

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2013 8:54 AM in response to Mark.Lee

Hi

Yes, Play Next should play songs immediately after the currently playing one ends, and Up Next just add them at the end of the queue and play them only when their queue is up.

That's how it is working for me. If I select, say 10 songs using Up Next they will be the next songs to play. However, when I use Play Next for another track, it plays next. If use UP next on another track it goes to bottom of list.

Jim

Up Next vs. Play Next

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.