Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VHD to dvd- what software do I require to work with new iMac 10.8.2?

VHS to dvd using latest imac 10.8.2. Can anybody recommend the best software for this conversion?

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 7:34 AM

41 replies

Feb 12, 2013 8:37 AM in response to DonMigell

getting the video from the vhd to the computer require more then software

got hold of an old analogue handcam when my wifes mum died

and used any old tvtuner connected by usb which had a composite connector and audio

the tvtuner software would then record the video cams tapes to a movie file on the computer harddisk

and a dvdburner program made the movie files into dvd's

got a long history of making such things for macs

http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/home.en.html

Feb 12, 2013 8:51 AM in response to Rudegar

Okay, I understand that as well as software I will need a VHS player, which I have. Presumably, I will require to connect this my computer via special coonectors to bring up the movie on the tv in order to download?

I'm not the best tech guy on these issues, so I will need guidance. ie the right connectors for my vhs to imac?

Feb 12, 2013 2:52 PM in response to DonMigell

Just checked the reviews on Elgato Video Capture, to find considerable adverse info on quality produced.

Looking at the Grass Valley Range, this seems to be more professional and offers high quality albeit it's more expensive. I'm prepared to pay more for top quality and will contact Grass Valley to discuss. In your opinion, if you had the choice and weren't price conscious, which is the best purchase if quality was the main and foremost consideration?

Feb 13, 2013 6:29 AM in response to Klaus1

Just been back onto Holden, who are now more the wiser that a cable from Apple will work the system.

As for the quality, they advise that it will not of course be any better quality than that on the VHS tapes, but it will not be any less. Is this your opinion to? As far as your concerned is this the best system I can buy in order to retain the quality of the download?

Feb 13, 2013 6:46 AM in response to DonMigell

As for the quality, they advise that it will not of course be any better quality than that on the VHS tapes, but it will not be any less. Is this your opinion to?

Put it this way: I have used the ADVC110 to digitize and re-edit about 25 VHS home video tapes that were 20+ years old, and have been pleased with the results - for how else are you going to preserve them? 🙂

As for quality I would largely agree with them. Digitizing will not (cannot) improve the quality of the source material, but nor will it degrade it. You can help yourself along the way by first cleaning the tape heads of the VHS player and fast-forward then fast rewind the tapes (so they don't 'stick'), and at the other end of the process by only using top quality media like Verbatim DVD-R or Taiyo Yuden, and a low burn speed of 2x or 4x. For the actual burn process I always use Roxio Toast.

As far as your concerned is this the best system I can buy in order to retain the quality of the download?

The more expensive ADVC330 (I think that is the model number) has more options of one kind ot another, none of which will improve the final result. There are other analogue to digital converters out there, but many users here prefer the ADVCs.

Feb 13, 2013 1:46 PM in response to DonMigell

DonMigell wrote:

Sorry guys, need to confirm:

Which one do I require?

1. Canpous/ Grass Valley ADVC110 Analogue /DV convertor bi directional £199.99

2. Grass Valley ADVC110 - Video input adapter ieee 1394 (Firewire) NTSC £209.99

And the difference between the two (apart from price)?

Canopus is the company that originally designed and supplied the ADVC 100, 110, and 300. Thomson Media purchased Canopus in 2005 to augument it's Grass Valley line. Thomson has sold the ADVC 110 under both names. I can't say for sure for I purchased mine long before Canopus was sold to Thomson Media, but I would suspect they are the same product. Check on the Grass Valley web site for more information.

Feb 13, 2013 2:28 PM in response to DonMigell

I agree with crh24. I have never heard of there being two differing models with the same model number, and I am puzzled about the reference to NTSC, as the 110 will happily convert to/from NTSC/Secam/PAL, depending on the dip switch settings, as it can accept both analogue and digital input.

As such, I would say that No. 1 is the one to go for. Mine connects inputs via RCA cables for audio and either RCA for video as well as S-Video for video (the latter giving a better signal from cameras), and output via firewire to your Mac, as well as RCA or S-video.

Bus asking Grass Valley what the difference actually is seems a good idea!

VHD to dvd- what software do I require to work with new iMac 10.8.2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.