Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Force iTunes not to open unless external drive is mounted

Scenario:

iTunes library is located on an external HD (wall powered not bus powered) connected to my airport extreme. I mentioned the wall power only because other discussions mentioned the USB port on the APE is inadequate. My extrenal drive sometimes loses its connection to my macbook pro (in system prefs>energy saver I already unchecked "put hard disk to sleep when possible") and then I open iTunes with out checking the connection first. Then the problems start, I buy stuff, automatic downloads start.... You see where I am going with this. Not to mention sometimes I have to restart my airport extreme just to get the MPB to connect, but that is another post.

My question, is there a way to either tell iTunes to NOT create a defualt library or tell iTunes to NEVER open unless extrenal HD is mounted/connected?

I like the last option better and I am pretty sure the answer is a simple "no that can not be done" but there HAS to be a solution.

Thanks you to any who have some advice.🙂

p.s. if an Apple engineer or programmer reads this PLEASE include this feature in the next version if iTunes.

p.s.s all products are fully up to date on software

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 11:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 11:43 AM

If you reorganize things so that the media folder is stored on the external drive then if the drive isn't there iTunes will complain of a "missing library" instead. At that point you can cancel, connect the drive and start iTunes as normal.

To see how best to move your library files to the external drive see the post: Make a split library portable

With a larger library you may find performance suffers in which case you'll have to bring the library files back to the local disc.

tt2

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2013 11:43 AM in response to LearnFromLee

If you reorganize things so that the media folder is stored on the external drive then if the drive isn't there iTunes will complain of a "missing library" instead. At that point you can cancel, connect the drive and start iTunes as normal.

To see how best to move your library files to the external drive see the post: Make a split library portable

With a larger library you may find performance suffers in which case you'll have to bring the library files back to the local disc.

tt2

Force iTunes not to open unless external drive is mounted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.