Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting my Late 2009 Macbook to a Samsung Series 5 TV

So I'm trying to connect my Late 2009 Macbook upto my Series 5 Samsung TV and I've stumbled across a bit (a lot!) of difficulty.

I have the picture coming through perfectly on my MiniDisplayport to HDMI connection but I can't for the life of me work out how to get the sound through as well. I have literally every cable at my disposal at the minute, RCA to audio, optical with a TOSlink connector and a standard 3.5mm audio cable. I assumed the optical to TOSlink connector would be my best option but no such look, I've tried every combination I can think of. Whenever I connect the TOSlink connector in, the sound icon greys out immediately and my TV doesn't appear in the Output list.

I'm really hoping somebody would be able to help me out, I'm fast running out of options, something I thought might be a good idea is quickly turning into a bit of a pain...

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 11:32 AM

1 reply

Feb 12, 2013 1:37 PM in response to Ell991

The Mini DisplayPort to HDMI doesn't carry audio unless you have the Mid 2010 model 7,1 and there're no audio plugs on most TVs to work with HDMI since it's expecting audio with the HDMI.

Check your TV manual though to see if it might have audio plugs that work with one of the HDMI ports. You attach it from the headphone jack of your MacBook to the appropriate audio input plugs on your TV.

If you have the Late 2008 model 5,1 Aluminum Unibody or Late 2009 model 6,1 White Unibody with the Mini DisplayPort rather than the Mini-DVI there is an adapter that uses the Mini DisplayPort and a USB port to combine video and audio to HDMI. It's only 2 channel stereo not 5.1 Dolby Surround.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802 &p_id=5969&seq=1&format=2

Connecting my Late 2009 Macbook to a Samsung Series 5 TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.