Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture or Lightroom 4???

Hi!

I'd like to know which one is better between Apreture and Lightroom 4...

At school, I use Photoshop and I want something that kinds of work the same way. I mean that it's not just for editing pictures in order to make them look prettier. I also want to use it to make pictures of my own, just like in photoshop, where you can like take part of one picture and add it to another one and everything... Sorry if I'm not using any technical terms, I'm not really into this stuff, it's more like a hobby and also a complementary class... English isn't my mother tongue too, so I might sound a little weird and I'm sorry...

Thanks for helping me anyway!

xx

*By the way, I'm going to use it on my MacBook Pro (whitout Retina display)

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 2:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 2:50 PM

Aperture, Lightroom, and iPhoto are digital asset managers. The part of your entire workflow that they cover is from recorded exposures (files you make with a camera) to the best you can make your pictures. You use other software -- graphics packages, which do compositing -- to take those pictures and make them into other grapics entities. Photoshop is a graphics package. There is overlap between Photoshop and Aperture, but they are very different products, designed for different users doing different things.

If you want something that works like Photoshop, get Photoshop or Pixelmator or GIMP or the equivalent.

As for the comparison between Aperture and Lightroom: they are functionally equal. Use the one that makes you happy. For more information on the comparison, read the many posts here and elsewhere. Start with the posts listed on the right column under the heading "More Like This".

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2013 2:50 PM in response to mviau

Aperture, Lightroom, and iPhoto are digital asset managers. The part of your entire workflow that they cover is from recorded exposures (files you make with a camera) to the best you can make your pictures. You use other software -- graphics packages, which do compositing -- to take those pictures and make them into other grapics entities. Photoshop is a graphics package. There is overlap between Photoshop and Aperture, but they are very different products, designed for different users doing different things.

If you want something that works like Photoshop, get Photoshop or Pixelmator or GIMP or the equivalent.

As for the comparison between Aperture and Lightroom: they are functionally equal. Use the one that makes you happy. For more information on the comparison, read the many posts here and elsewhere. Start with the posts listed on the right column under the heading "More Like This".

Aperture or Lightroom 4???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.