Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is it possible to copy apps

Hi all,

Just a quick question,

If I copied an actual iPad app file ie the .ipa file from my library (by browsing through the itunes folder directories in windows)

paste it onto someone else's computer into their mobile application folder for itunes would it work on their iPad and thus not needing to pay for it if it was a purchasable app

The reason I am asking is because I do not think it is fair that if I buy an app that my girlfriend has to do the same for her device - and we do not want to share each others itunes hence the above question

I know it was possible previous with the iPhone 3gs

Thanks

iOS 6.1.1, iPad 4 (with retina display)

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 4:24 PM

3 replies

Feb 12, 2013 4:40 PM in response to Johnathan Burger

Excuse me who said I am trying to steal?

Making asssumptions like that amount to libel

I am interested as to whether this is possible as on the iPhone 3gs it was but do not know if they sorted the issue surrounding this out!!

There are similar questions by others dating right back to iPods and also copying the ipa files for back up to put on a new iphone with a new apple id but for the same person - similar thing really

Please refrain from derogatory & libel statements

Feb 12, 2013 5:02 PM in response to CentricMalteser

All apps purchases are tied to the Apple ID used to purchase them. The update also needs the same Apple ID.

You are allowed to share (tolerate) when used in a family and can install up to 10 devices (not more than 5 computers inclusive) under your control.

I guess if you are living with your girlfriend together (even without marriage status) you can share Apple ID. Note I said I guess.😉

Settings > iTunes & App Stores > Apple ID: > use the same purchasing Apple ID here.

Anything else it's a gray area and only a lawyer can answer that.

is it possible to copy apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.