Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD isn't recognized in Powermac G4?

I have a Powermac G4 mirred drive door, and it isn't recognizing my SSD at all. I bouhgt a SATA PCI card from Amazon that said it supports Macs, and I successfully installed the drivers for the card. When I plugged the Patriot Torqx soldi state drive, nothing happened, and it isn't showing up in System Profiler or disk utility. Could this be because the SSD is broken, or is it a connection issue? Or is there an issue with the power? It is plugged in with a standard molex to sata power cable. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thankyou!

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 4:34 PM

4 replies

Feb 14, 2013 12:13 AM in response to phiz4life

Hi,

All Macs can mean anything.. if thats what it said.. we can assume it meant Intel Macs running 10.5.8 to 10.8.2 - These days there is hardly any mention of PowerPC Macs being able to use SSDs. I would ask the seller on Amazon for the correct specs. If he wrote it supports ALL MACS then that should include non-intel macs as well.

Feb 14, 2013 2:31 AM in response to romko23

Silicon Images chipset cards work in some Macs under some OS versions when some conditions are just right (Moon, Venus and Alpha Centauri all aligned properly, for one).....

PPC Macs and Intel Macs are pretty much equally somewhat supported with SI chipset cards.

Same for OS versions. The driver chart looks like a shot pattern from a short barreled shotgun; hit and miss!

The SSD should work just fine when connected to a Firmtek Seritek PCI SATA controller.

Mine in my QS does....... plug and play.

Feb 14, 2013 10:14 AM in response to phiz4life

Why have you posted this, again?

Hoping to get different answers than what we already told you?

Romko23 told you the exact same things I told you in your previous posting.

JapanMac stated in your earlier posting that this controller probably won't work and you may need find a FirmTek SATA controller.

And the SSD, itself, is still questionable if it will work with a PowerMac even with the right PCI SATA controller.

What other info do you need?

Return the controller you bought back to the person you purchased this from and get your money back and purchase the correct maker of PCI SATA controller.

SSD isn't recognized in Powermac G4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.