Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes freezes when syncing iPad to a new comp

I recently bought a new computer to replace my old one, and now my iPad 2 won't sync. iTunes just freezes, even though I "authorized" the new computer (which has a different name than my old one). What measures can I take to sync my iPad to the new computer? This is driving me a bit crazy, so any advice would be appreciated. Thank you. (In case it matters, I'm using the latest version of iTunes on Windows 8).

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 5:41 PM

3 replies

Feb 12, 2013 5:54 PM in response to Philothea724

I've occasionally had my iTUnes freeze, both on my win 8 and my old vista computer. Every time you open iTunes, it reaches out to connect to the iTunes store. You may need to use the task mananger to shut it down or restart your computer if it's frozen at the moment. Then try opening iTunes, let it get up and going, then plug in your iPad. It's possible that it starting up, communicating iwth Apple and trying to communicate with your iPad all at the same time is too much for it and it freezes.

iTunes 11 can be very glitchy when it's in the mood to be. You almost have to baby it by letting it get going before you try to do something else.

Feb 13, 2013 11:42 AM in response to Skydiver119

I've noticed that iTunes will freeze/lock up as soon as I plug in the iPad, but as soon as I unplug it, iTunes returns to normal. It doesn't give me any indication that it's syncing, the only thing my iPad says is that it's "Not Charging." I left it for an hour and nothing happened. 😐

So you think it's just Windows 8 and iTunes and doesn't have anything to do with the fact that I'm syncing to a second computer? (I can't sync to the old one anymore).

Mar 9, 2013 1:03 AM in response to Philothea724

I also have the same problem with my ipad 3 connected to my windows 8 Pro desktop computer and Itunes 11. I try to downgrade to iTunes 10, still the same result.

I even tried to connect just my iPhone 4s, and iTunes 11 has no problem detecting them. This means only my ipad 3 when connected to my iTunes installed on WIndows 8 makes the iTunes hang/freeze

iTunes freezes when syncing iPad to a new comp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.