Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External sound stops working intermittently

My iPhone 5 will sometimes stop making external sounds. I usually notice it when I lock the phone but don't hear the lock sound. Then when I unlock it, it doesn't make that sound either.

It usually gets put into silent mode via the switch on the side several times a day. And I'm in and out of my car with the bluetooth connection many times a day.

A reboot of the phone has always fixed the issue, but it's annoying and the first iPhone I've ever had this problem with. Has anyone else every had this problem??

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 7:11 PM

1 reply

Mar 6, 2014 12:47 PM in response to akmac75

Well my case may be different. It has nothing to do with the ringer on/off switch. The switch is on, but sounds still don't come. Intermittently. Sometimes I don't hear the phone ring and calls go straight to voicemail. (Maybe that's an issue with the cellular service or maybe it's just not ringing). I have the "hunting horn" sound selected for incoming texts. Sometimes I hear it, sometimes I don't. Rebooting doesn't seem to help particularly. It's just so random.

By the way, I was on IOS 7.0.4, I just upgraded to 7.0.6 and it hasn't changed anything for this problem.

External sound stops working intermittently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.