Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Horns in F?

Hi There

I'm composing a score in Logic for orchestra. It's got four french horns. I've selected 'horn in f' staff style for them. My composer friend tells me that the notes should actually appear an octave higher than Logic is currently displaying them for them to sound in the proper register when played by live musicians.

Help!!!

many thanks

Grabbin'

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 6:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 12:12 AM

french horns are transposed up a fifth, so the written notes are higher than the sounding notes. (e.g. player plays a C4, and you hear F3)

if they are written lower than sounding, yes, you need to transpose them an octave. could be that your reference pitch is C3 when it should be C4 or something like that.

stefan

6 replies

Feb 13, 2013 11:16 AM in response to grabbingatair

I don't use Logic's scoring functions, but remember that there are so many places where sounds can be transposed. You can transpose the arrange track, the EXS plugin or whichever one you happen to use, even the original samples can be mapped to the wrong octave, your MIDI keyboard, the A3/A4 reference pitch....

Any of these and probably a few more can be responsible. I agree that it would feel a lot better if everything would appear in the expected octave, but if it doesn't and going up +20 does the trick, at least you have a practical workaround.

Stefan

Horns in F?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.