Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVD plyer/Burner refuses to read commercial disc and keeps ejecting, DVD plyer/Burner refuses to read commercial disc and keeps ejecting

For a few weeks I've noticed my internal dvd drive won't burn CDs etc, keeps producing various errors, and today it keeps ejecting commercially bought dvd's ( music concerts ).

I can play them thru an external DVD player/Burner and they mount on the desktop and play in DVD player.

I've tried re-setting the SMC.

In System Prefs. it shows OK and if a disc is inserted and what speeds, whether its burnable or not.

My Protection plan expired end of Dec!!!

I had the HDD replaced in Nov under Apple's replacement programme - could it have become disconnected then?

Just put in a Blank CD and it mounts on the d/top and shows up in system prefs as;

OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5680H:

Firmware Revision: 3AHB

Interconnect: ATAPI

Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)

Cache: 2048 KB

Reads DVD: Yes

CD-Write: -R, -RW

DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW

Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

Media:

Type: CD-R

Blank: Yes

Erasable: No

Overwritable: Yes

Appendable: Yes

Write Speeds: 8x, 16x, 24x

Also just tried with a commercially made music CD and it also is listed here;

OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5680H:

Firmware Revision: 3AHB

Interconnect: ATAPI

Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)

Cache: 2048 KB

Reads DVD: Yes

CD-Write: -R, -RW

DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW

Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

Media:

Type: CD-ROM

Blank: No

Erasable: No

Overwritable: No

Appendable: No

However, I just tried with 5 other DVD/CDs and each one was not recognised and efected automaically.

Can anyone help as to what the problem is?

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 500 GB ext.H/D

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 8:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 9:14 PM

Could be a dirty laser on the drive, go to the local Office Supply store and buy a CD/DVD drive cleaning kit and try it.

4 replies

Feb 13, 2013 2:36 AM in response to Shootist007

OK it definitely looks as if its failed. It won't read any discs I put in.

I can't even read from the original DVDs that came with it let alone the Apple Hard ware Test.

I tried using this DVD in the external player and whilst it mounts on the desktop I can't restart

the iMac on the AHT as it won't work.

Thanks for your help.

DVD plyer/Burner refuses to read commercial disc and keeps ejecting, DVD plyer/Burner refuses to read commercial disc and keeps ejecting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.