Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme: Unable to connect using PPPoE

I'm currently based in Malaysia using the TM Streamyx ISP and having been in the market for a new wifi router I figured I'd give the Airport Extreme a try. Expensive I thought but worth it no doubt.

At the moment I have to say I'm only moderately impressed with the AEBS mainly because the wifi signal is barely much better than the piece of junk freebie router the ISP supplied me at no cost and even more infuriatingly I can't for the life of me get it to work in anything other than bridge mode, so I'm having to forgo what one might hope would be the AEBS better capabilities with regard to DHCP and NAT handling and of course the benefit of a guest network. So, far from being one of my better tech investments at the moment!

What I can't figure is why the heck I can't get it to work in DHCP/NAT mode. I have a total of three different modems here and on each one, to get THEM to work all I have to do is:

1) Select PPPoE

2) Type in ISP User Name

3) Type in service password

4) Service Name: leave blank

5) Set VPI/VCI to 0/35

6) Deselect 'Enable wireless network)

Bingo. They ALL connect, no problem whatsoever. I can then also connect the very expensive (but very little value adding) white box to them in bridge mode and it works. The modems are Dlink 2640B, TPLink, TD8817 and Innacomm.

However, try to get the AEBS to work in OTHER than bridge mode and it's epic FAIL every time! I select 'Bridge' mode on the modems (I so modems because I've tried them all), input the 0/35 (on the two that ask for it), click save.

I then input the exact same user credentials on the AEBS but cannot connect at all. I keep getting 'No DNS' and 'No Internet' messages and the AEBS constantly displays a PPPoE Connecting banner on the laptop, except of course it never does.

I've tried powering on and off, factory resets, hard resets across all devices, no joy. About the only thing I havent tried is an ultimate factory reset of the AEBS by slinging it up the wall and smashing it into a hundred pieces, albeit it's not that far off!! Needless to say I'm not at all impressed with it at all.

It seems for sure there is an issue with one of the modems with the AEBS, the TP Link one: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2004259 While I accept there may be a conflict or a problem with one modem I find it hard to believe there is one with all three. It seems to me that the problem is with the AEBS and its handling of PPPoE authentication.

I've scoured the internet all day on this and it does seem that the AEBS is not without problems in this regard. Would welcome any thoughts anyone might have on what the problem might be. Having spent the best part of today and yesterday on this I'm getting a bit past caring now and only wish I'd saved 50% of the cost and bought a Linksys that would doubtless have been up and working now.

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 10:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 11:18 PM

Apple's implementation of PPPoE is not supported by your ISP. The only way to do is to connect via Bridge Mode to the router supplied. Turn off the wifi on the supplied router since you will not need it and let AEBS handle all of the wireless connections.

9 replies

Feb 13, 2013 6:15 AM in response to JoeMY

Thanks for the reply, is that information you've gleaned from somewhere and are the details available anywhere? Not Apple's fault if that's the case and I would prefer not to waste any more time on this, got two buddies in exactly the same boat though who are contemplating picking up other routers in Thailand to try them. Clearly if it's as simple as an ISP no-go then I won't waste any more time on it and I'll sms them to save their money (unless they pick up a high end Linksys and sell of their AEBSs).

Funny thing is I had mine a few months now and I'm sure I had it all working fine at one stage. Then I woke one morning to an amber light and it never connected PPPoE since, so whether it was an overnight ISP change, an AEBS firmware update or some other change that triggered the break I don't know. Unless I only THOUGHT I actually had it up and running PPPoE but never did.

I thought something was odd because when I put the modem in bridge mode I can't even connect a laptop to tghe net via PPPoE. I've never needed or tried to do that before, never had to, so whether I got that wrong I'm not sure, but the MBP was connected to the modem by ethernet, modem in bridge mode, and the MBP just hung on 'PPPoE connecting'.

I did read somehwere that you need to set the router (in this case AEBS) IP address to one that Streamyx will let on to the system, but that may be related to another issue. I've read so much the past couple of days it's all getting muddy 😟

Feb 13, 2013 6:47 AM in response to TechAddict

AE was working with PPPoE until May 2011 when overnight after a maintenance it won't connect with the TM Unifi (suppose its the same as Streamyx) using unchanged PPPoE settings. I suspect its to do with a change in the CHAP/PAP handshake used during login but to my knowledge this had not been investigated in detail simply because simple alternative solutions are available:-

a. Keep the ISP supplied DIR-615 with ISP custom firmware to handle PPPoE login and bridge the AE, or

b. Get a non-Apple router which has custom firmware for TM.

Feb 13, 2013 4:44 PM in response to JoeMY

Thanks for the reply. I guess that's it then. I wonder how I managed to get it all working a few months back? Unless it was a fluke or maybe I was using another combination of settings and the modem was still doing the PPPoE? Was sure I had that guest network up and running though, as late as Sept or Oct 2012 (unless the changes that affect Unifi were applied to Streamyx around then). Either way I plan to leave it be now as I'm on router overload and have better things to do in life.

Not sure I'd have bothered with an AEBS had I known about these problems before to be honest (and I did extensive searching about AEBS and even AEBS with TM), seems little point, but, it's here now so I'll likely keep it until it breaks, the price makes them less disposable than some routers. While the AEBS works in Bridge mode you cannot then setu up a Guest network which might be important for some.

I might drop a tech support question to TM if I can be bothered but their customer services leaves a lot to be desired so you feel it will just be wasted time and effort.

May 28, 2014 10:13 PM in response to thkiat

Yet to try it here. The AE works fine if you use it in Bridge mode but of course you then lose the Guest Network ability of the AE and I can't help thinking the AE would handle DHCP better also. Having messed around with it for so long before I'm a bit reluctant to try the AE doing PPPoE again. Not a major problem to try it and go back to Bridge Mode (if it doesn't work), just having the time. At the moment it's at the bottom of a long 'Things to do' list.

May 7, 2015 10:13 PM in response to TechAddict

I manage to use my supplied modem/router as bridge and AE as PPPoE.

1. Assuming that your ISP is TM, go into your browser and type 192.168.1.1

2. Log into your router setup using quick setup. Just follow the instructions to set your router to bridge mode. disable wireless if you have the options but if the option was not there its ok. Just click next until it is fully setup.

3. Next log into your router again but this time use the advance setting. From here u may disable the wireless if you have not yet disable it.

4.next this is crucial.Look for LAN settings. Under LAN disable dhcp.

5. Set your AE and put in your username and password.

This steps is proven working for supplied Innacomm w3400v6.

Good Luck

May 19, 2015 4:13 AM in response to Raynner

Thanks for taking the time to post this. Spent ALL afternoon trying to get this to work, hours and hours. But cannot connect. Tried 3 different modems all no good. Even tried the EXACT device (Innacom 3400) you refer to, no go.

Set it up in Bridge mode, disabled WAN and DHCP server. Set up AEBS from factory reset, filled in pppoe name and password, update and nothing Dead. 2 amber light errors reading on the AEBS when you click on it. One says 'No DNS Servers' and the other 'No Internet'.

So in short I have absolutely NO idea why this isn't working given that I've gone through EXACTLY the steps mentioned. But having spent almost yet another day trying to get this to work I'm gonna call it quits and give up. Life's too short. It simply shouldn't be THIS hard. Any other ISP I've tried to connect the AEBS to, including 3 in Thailand. No problem, enter details, bang. Straight through. TM and here in Penang. Cannot!!!

Airport Extreme: Unable to connect using PPPoE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.