Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App-related storage: Local vs iCloud

Can I manage whether app-related files/data/photos are stored locally or in iCloud? iPad2, 16 GB, Wi-Fi only. Purchased increase in iCloud storage to total of 25.0 GB, of which 21.5 GB is shown as available YET, I'm receiving notification an app update cannot be downloaded due to insufficient storage.

iPad 2, iOS 6.1, Wi-Fi only

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 9:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 9:49 PM

You cannot use space you bought on iCloud to increase your iPad Storage. It's mainly for backup and data for iWork.

Use other cloud storage like Dropbox, Box.net or Sugarsync.

4 replies

Feb 12, 2013 11:18 PM in response to RichnKCMO12

I'm going to give you a philosphical answer, so take it for what it's worth. The iPad is not a computer. You might think it is, but it's more of an appliance. It has limitations, one of which you're finding.

You need to offload those excess photos to a real computer for storage and filing. And you need to backup that real computer, if you treasure those photos.

You can use Dropbox, or one of its many imitators to store on the cloud, but if you have that many photos, you need a filing system like iPhoto/Aperture, and probably an editing program like Aperture and Photoshop on a real computer to deal with that many photos.

App-related storage: Local vs iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.