Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Excessively long login time--about 40 seconds.

When I access discussions.apple.com from Safari I'm taken to the start of the login process (Welcome, Guest page) where I press the "Sign in" link. Immediately a new page pops up asking me to sign in. So far, all is well and good--working as I expect it to. I make sure the Apple ID and password are correct and press the "Sign In" button.

Now the questionable state occurs. When I press the "Sign In" button to complete the login process I'm presented with a blank page that stays presented for about 40 seconds and then the login completes and I'm presented with my "Your View" start up page.

The forums then operate normally, i.e. fast, for a while but the long delay also happens several times a day when I access the "Apple Support Communities" link at the top of the page. The only difference is that the page doesn't always go blank when accessing that link. Sometimes it is as if Safari has frozen at the click of the link but 40 seconds later I'm presented with the initial page one expects to see when accessing that link.

The question--why does it take so long from the press of the "Sign In" button to the completion of the login? I'm on many different discussion forums and the Apple discussion forums are the only ones that takes more than a couple of seconds at most to login.

This long delay happens when accessing the discussion forums from my iPad 4th Gen too.

Am I the only one this is happening to or is it 'normal' for the login process to take so long? Perhaps it has to do with "My View" and if I had a less complex setup the delay would be shorter. Anyone know for sure?

late-2012 27" i7 iMac, 32GB, 3TB Fu-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion, iPad '4'; ATV3; mid 2012 MBA;

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 1:50 AM

2 replies

Feb 15, 2013 3:47 PM in response to Hadi-james

Hadi-james wrote:

I don't think that is normal because it is not happening for me everything is normal. I don't really know where your problem comes from but maybe it's just your internet connection that blocks when it connects to the apple's server or something like that.

I done a little bit of testing since I posted. The long delay is definitely caused by my personalized view. If I remove all but the basic view the delay is very short. If I add in the object that shows the 30 most recent threads I've posted to the delay increases to a couple of seconds. Adding back an object will increase the time. Reverting to my 4 object view restores the 40 second delay.

I find that I don't use the three objects that are causing the delay so I removed them.

Excessively long login time--about 40 seconds.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.