Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thumbnails not refreshing in fidner CS6 external hard drive

Hello:

I recently converted to an iMac and CS6 from PC/CS5. In addition to the Mac OS missing some key file selection tools (like shift select for a range of files), I am having a big problem with thumbnails. I recently sent a file to be printed that was edited in CS6 on the iMac. The files were stored and edited on an external hard drive connected direclty to the iMac. The file I got from the printer did not match the image I sent. I traced the problem to the fact that when using the Save-as function, the thumbnail was not updated.

I was able to replicate this problem at will. As an experiment, I moved the file onto the internal hard drive and tried again. This time the thumbnail did update. Has anybody else had this problem? Is this a Mac OS issue, or a Photoshop issue?

Jamie

iMac, iOS 6.1.1

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 11:01 PM

6 replies

Feb 14, 2013 3:29 PM in response to JamieSoloPhoto

OS X doesn't create thumbnails for the icons. It renders the icon previews live from the file. If it has a custom icon set (what you are calling a thumbnail), it doesn't render the preview. If you want to see the previews, remove all your custom icons (Get Info, select icon, delete), or have Adobe's software create the custom icon when you save (I don't know if this is possible).

In Icon View, to select multiple files, drag out a selection rectangle around (or just touching) them.

If you want to shift-click, use List or Column view.

In any view, cmd-click toggles selection, much like ctrl-click does in Windows.

Feb 14, 2013 3:54 PM in response to Barney-15E

Two problems, one is that this is the response from Adobe:

1.Chris Cox,

User uploaded file User uploaded file

Feb 12, 2013 11:19 PM in reply to JamieSoloPhoto77

That would have to be an OS issue. Photoshop either doesn't write thumbnails (if chosen), or writes the current data along with the new file. There isn't a way for Photoshop to have out of date thumbnails in a file.

and this

User uploaded file User uploaded file

Feb 13, 2013 8:48 AM in reply to JamieSoloPhoto77

That sounds like the file is good, but the OS is not updating it's cache of the file thumbnail correctly.

So even though you say it renders the thumbnail live from the file, Adobe seems to believe that it draws the thumbnails from a cache. I would tend to believe Adobe on this one since when I look at these same files with a windows machine (also connected to the external hard drive) the thumbnail is correct for the image. I am pretty certain now that the problem lies witht he Mac OS not refreshing its cache of thumbnails when using external hard drives. I tried this both with a FAT and NTFS formatted drives.

The second problem is that for pulling multiple images from a single file, on a pc I could control click multible singular images, then shift click a range of images all together. I will just have to deal with not having the shift click fuction with the Mac, but its much slower than I am used to.

Feb 14, 2013 4:01 PM in response to JamieSoloPhoto

There isn't a thumbnail created by the OS. It may cache the rendered image, but if the file has a custom icon, it will display that custom icon instead of the rendered image. Does that file have a custom icon? Get Info on it and look at the icon. If it is a picture of what was in the file, then it has a custom icon. If it is a generic icon for the file type, then it doesn't.

For file selection, if you want to use Shift-click to select a contiguous set of files, use List View or Column View. Icon View does not support that.

Feb 14, 2013 4:16 PM in response to Barney-15E

This is strictly thumbnails of jpeg images. I can get the Mac OS to update the thumbnail image if I move the image or the entire folder to a new location, but if I save the file after making major changes to it, the cache will not update and will display an outdated thumbnail.

The Shift-click process for selecting a range of files is not of use to me in list or column view since I work exclusively with images, and need to be able to see thumbnail views of the jpegs.

Feb 14, 2013 4:41 PM in response to JamieSoloPhoto

So, it doesn't have a custom icon? I've tried to get it to not update on several different external drives and network drives. It updates every time. I don't have any Adobe stuff, so I can't check it thoroughly.

If you can't use the other views, then drag out a rectangle with the mouse around the ones you want to select. Shift- or Cmd-click+drag to make other selections in the same way.

Thumbnails not refreshing in fidner CS6 external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.