You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

pages custom date format

I'm looking for a way to create a custom date format outside a Pages formatted cell. In other words, in text paragraphs, I need to be able to update the year only in a paragraph. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 8:20 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 8:49 AM

It would help if you said exactly what that format is that you are trying to do.

Date formats are set in:

System Preferences > Language & Text > Formats > Dates > Customize… > drag around or delete elements

Peter

11 replies

Feb 13, 2013 4:23 PM in response to RBT1975

If you are looking for the capability within Pages to insert a custom date field-code like the following, outside of a table, then I am not aware of how it can be done. I used LibreOffice 4.0 to produce the following image.

User uploaded file

When this was exported as a .docx file into Pages v4.3 on Mountain Lion, the YYYY format was replaced by a Pages date field. A right-button selection of this date in Pages offers an Edit Date & Time... menu item that produces the following panel:

User uploaded file

There is no YYYY format customization on this panel within Pages.

It is possible to write an AppleScript service that runs from your Pages > Services menu and scans your Pages document for a date to convert to a YYYY replacement format. You may not want that either.

Did this answer your question?

Feb 14, 2013 6:43 AM in response to RBT1975

Rick,

Peter and Fruhulda inspired a revisit to my earlier post and I now concur with them that an embedded year field is possible within a paragraph with matching style. It would require the following changes for effect.

In the System Language & Text preference, one can replace one of the existing (least used) date formats with strictly a year format. Subsequently, this year category does actually appear in the Edit Date & Time pop-up -- after double-clicking the inserted date & time field in the paragraph.

pages custom date format

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.