Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Skype via OSX Messages?

I love the fact that I can funnel (almost) all of my IM accounts into one Messenger front-end app.

My iMessage, AIM, Yahoo and GoogleTalk all appear in my Messages App.

Can I get Skype to do the same?

I'm hoping the answer is not, "no, because it's Microsoft and they don't play well with Apple."

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7), 27inch, 4 CPUs, 256GB SSD, 2TB HD

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 7:39 AM

6 replies

Feb 13, 2013 2:17 PM in response to o1sowise

Hi,

Skype never played with iChat.

It never played with anything else either.

AIM can relay Video chats through it server and iChat/Messages can be set up to do this (Later versions of iChat).

Other than the Name/IDs nothing is centralised about Skype.

Last time I ran it was in Leopard.

I was using Little Snitch at the time (still do)

iChat/Messages makes about 3 or 4 Logins connections per Account. (Buddy list, Buddy Pics, Profile etc)

It then uses 4 more port connections to do an AV chat.

Skype seems to make endless connections (I quit about the 40 mark, Decfom in iChat reported over 100)

These seem to be "sharing" end user bandwidth to spread the load for the video or Audio chat.

I don't know if it still does but the Skype Preferences used to list that download's Port number

If you did not open this in the firewall or router then it would default to port 80 or 443 (Always Open ports) circumventing your firewall or Router settings.

Apparently the port used to vary from Download/install to Download/Install.

See this site for the instructions to Look up the port before Forwarding ports on the router model.

User uploaded file
10:17 PM Wednesday; February 13, 2013

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Dec 9, 2014 1:06 PM in response to xolytem

Hi,

The Question was whether Skype accounts can be made to work in Messages.

The answer to that is No.

I removed Skype from my computers several years ago (before the Microsoft purchase) as Little Snitch showed the app made many more connections across the world and not just to a Login Server and a Buddy (An AIM Login makes for server connections to get Buddy List, Buddy Pics, Status and well as the verification of the Login itself).

I stopped the app making more than 30 odd connections

A friend of mine counted over 100 when he let the app do it's thing.

I have not kept up to date with what's currently available for Mac. Or the features other apps have added surrounding this.

User uploaded file

9:06 pm Tuesday; December 9, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Skype via OSX Messages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.