Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Am I the only person who experiences random keyframe placement in FCPX?

Sometimes, and really I mean a lot of times, adding a keyframe to a clip for whatever parameter (controlling opacity, or transform, or adjusting effects, any reason) does not get placed at the location where my playhead is. It might get places a few frames left or right of the playhead and sometimes it can get places seconds away. Sometimes it even gets placed way past the end of the clip, so when I try to find it using the "next" and "previous" keyframe navigation I'll the the playhead move way ahead of the clip's end point.

I thought I'd find lots of people with this problem here, but I can't find any in the forums.

It doesn't happen all the time, but when it begins to happen frequently, the only way to solve it is to trash preferences. then it behaves for a few sessions and back to doing it again! At first, I thought it was because I was using Snow Leopard, and Apple tech suggested upgrading the OS, but it still does it in Mountain Lion.

Anyone with the same problem?

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 16gb RAM, ATI Radeon 5750

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 11:00 AM

13 replies

Jun 17, 2013 11:40 AM in response to msteele617

Hi msteele617, Looking at the screen shot you uploaded, you're actually still getting they keyframe placed on the frame you have selected even though it's not exactly on the spot where the play head line is. The play head line moves in finer increments for the purpose of audio clip editing. For video clips like the one in the example you have, the keyframe is still in the position of the frame (notice the frame grid that's highlighted on the top of the Timeline.

The problem that I'm experiencing and the reason why I opened this discussion, is the drastically random places a keyframe sometimes drops on both video and audio clips (as in sometimes upwards of seconds away from target). I'd like to know if anyone else has this problem.

"Studio Engineer" replied to my original post asking if I can reproduce it, but it is totally random. There are no steps for reproduction in my case. It might work, and then once it starts to misbehave, it normally stays that way until I do something drastic like restart the computer or trash preferences which wastes way too much time!.

I realy don't understand why no one else seems to be writing about this problem because I still experience it on another iMac that I work on at a different location. It can't be that FCPX doesn't like my DSLR media because I always optimize within the program to work in Pro Res 422.

Jun 17, 2013 11:52 AM in response to igraphyx

In the Screen Shot I had moved the play head to act as a straight-edge, to show the keyframe offsetting... As you can see in the picture the keyframe is just a tad in front of the 2:04:09 mark. :09 representing the 9th frame. I initially keyframed at the 2:04:10 mark and the keyframe went backwards into the prior frame.

As you can see top right under the transformation parameter FCP X does not recognize as ontop of the keyframe though it is "within" the :09 frame.

Sorry for the confusion and hope this explanation can be utilized for a solution from Apple.

Jun 17, 2013 12:47 PM in response to Russ H

Russ H wrote:

Because video is frame-based (as opposed to audio) I can't think of how a keyframe can be anywhere except at the beginning pf a new frame – regardless of what's shown.

Russ

Precisely, when I added the keyframe at the :10 frame it should have been placed at he beginning of that frame.

Easy enough, right?

Instead being placed a fraction after the :09 frame... I only extended the clip to show where the keyframe was being placed by FCP, my original clip started at 02:04:10, so I was attempting to place a keyframe at the beginning of the clip. However, FCP placed the keyframe in a portion of my clip that was not extended, nor the full length of that frame.

Jun 17, 2013 1:31 PM in response to igraphyx

igraphyx wrote:

oh, yes i see what you mean now, then that's sort of similar to my problem too then. How often does it happen to you? If you were to add another keyframe would it be on target or off? And if it falls off the frame you were selecting, Is it always off my one frame or does it vary?

I am editing R3D footage that was shot at 100 Fps. My project is 23.98 fps, and I come across this keyframe issue about once a project.

In this next picture I have included the playhead, a Red Marker, and a Green Marker.

User uploaded file

The playhead is my original keyframe placement issue. I attempted to place my keyframe at the 02:04:10 mark, however it was placed closer to the :09 frame. I placed another keyframe on that same clip (only a frame prior), same outcome.

The Red Marker is the same clip just at a different place in the footage and different duration. This time when I attempted to place the keyframe, it similarly placed the keyframe behind my original mark, but not nearly as close to the previous frame's start.

With the Green Marker I placed another transform keyframe at the location and successfully placed where I had my playhead. The only difference of this clip is that it is compound made of a black and a white generator.

Any ideas or suggestions please mention. I have already dumped my prefs but have not reinstalled FCPX.

EDIT:

Originally I was using ALT-Click in Video Animation to lay the keyframe or Add Keyframe under Transform. This was causing misplacement.

However I moved my playhead and adjusted the numbers via slider and the keyframe was correctly placed even when I attempted it on the same frame.

Am I the only person who experiences random keyframe placement in FCPX?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.